PDA

View Full Version : water

cowboy
02/04/2002, 01:03 PM
what is the difference between ro water and ro/di water. the reason i'm asking is, i have an algea problem. i'm in the process of chosing a water purification system for the make up water for my tank. it depends on what company you talk to most say it's a difference in cost only, because i'm using well water and the di is not needed. do you have any thoughts on if ro only water will work? thanks
cowboy

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/04/2002, 01:27 PM
Reverse osmosis (RO) removes impurities based on size. The larger something is, the better it is removed. Most salts are removed in the 90-99% range. Larger things like some organics and all particulates will be totally removed.

Deionization (DI) removes anything that carries a net electrostatic charge. This includes all inorganic ions, and some organics. It does not remove particulates and some organics, and does not remove all CO2.

Together the two processes are optimal for most reefkeeping purposes. That's what I use on my tap water.

If you have an analysis of your well water, we can help you decide if RO is adeuqate, but getting an RO/DI would be your best bet. If you have high silica or phosphate, RO just isn't enough.

Forget what anyone says if they are selling a device for drinking water. Your needs and your tanks needs are completely different.

cowboy
02/04/2002, 02:18 PM
thanks,
cowboy

Aquatic Reef Systems
02/04/2002, 02:20 PM
Once again Randy Holmes Farley,

I could not have said it better myself!

Cowboy,
Randy Holmes-Farley is correct,
Talk to people who deal with Reef issues on a daily basis.
I personaly suggest going with an RO and a DI, but again that really depends on your water quality!
Get the results from your water and post them here and you will find alot of answers from folks in the same boat you are in.

Good luck!!

Bryan Crenshaw