PDA

View Full Version : Bicolor Angel

OhCrapINeedAName
05/19/2000, 11:45 PM
I've had my Bicolor for about 3 months now, and the li'l guy's doin' great. I had one years ago, with much success. . . but, was never told that they were "hard to keep" as everyone keeps insisting today. Just lucky I guess. . . I did nothing special. Anyone have advice on ensuring his longevity?

Aescleah
05/20/2000, 12:32 AM
a while back they used to have a good rep but i think things changed cyanide and bad collecting habits have made it hard to get a good fish real tough on the little guys they are one of my favorite angels though.
hths
Ashley

billsreef
05/20/2000, 05:59 AM
The trick with bicolors is getting a good one. It all comes down to collecting, holding facilities and shipping. If the fish is handled with care at each step of the journey to the hobbiest it stands an excellent chance of doing well :), otherwise it is doomed :( Glad you got a good one ;)

------------------
Bill

If damsels grew as big as sharks, the sharks would run in fear!
My dive photos (http://hometown.aol.com/billsreef/)
ICQ 56222784

Brooke
05/24/2000, 05:21 PM
We've had one in our fo for a couple months. It is eating great and getting plump. It did take a couple of days to really start eating and still will not take algae from the clips. It will eat it if we stuff it under a rock. Otherwise it eats everything...even spirulina flakes with gusto.

Brooke

OhCrapINeedAName
05/24/2000, 09:53 PM
Likewise. . . except mine also eats from the algae clip as well. Heck, he looks at me hungrily when I walk in the room. Even if there's already something in the tank for 'im to eat!

jimmy n
06/03/2000, 07:51 PM
There are a few very difficult if not impossible fish to keep. Most fish with a bad reputation for survivability either earned that reputation in the past or have a recent history of bad collection practices.

Since the latter is more common in todays trade, the easy solution is to watch the fish in the store for at least a week. Yes, sometimes your fish can get away ( pun intended) but most good stores will hold it for you and it is imminently worth it. If I am purchasing a fish worth more than 40 or 50 bucks, I'll watch it at least two weeks and check it's feeding on two separate occassions. This has led to the purchase of long lasting, beautiful specimens. I learned my lessons the hard way...

Jim

Titi_Reef
06/28/2000, 03:44 PM
I just bought one last week $18.00 but died after 4 days...I watched this one more than 2 weeks but it is still die...

Too bad. I love this fish

reptilicus
12/23/2001, 06:44 AM
I think bicolors are one of those animals that only have the reputation of being hard to keep because of their collection practices. Catalaphyllia jardeini is similar in this regard. OVer here in Australia, we have no trouble keeping bicolors, they are just as hardy as any other Centropyge sp. angel. The only conclusion that can be drawn is that they are poorly collected, and that if you get a healthy specimen you should have no troubles. For the record, I kept a bicolor in a FOWLR for a number of years when I first started out almost 10 years ago.
Regards,
Tom