PDA

View Full Version : So who does everyone use around the valley?

Staceyfb
06/16/2005, 12:50 AM
What shops do all of us here use most often? I for one being in Appleton pretty much am limited to Just pets in side pet supplies plus on Northland. I however am disappointed at the quality of the stores all over the valley. Having lived in Milwaukee and works at Hoeffers for a time I wish we had a store of that magnitude here. I also am wondering about the LR prices here in the valley. Is 7 to 10 the general price here in the valley?
Not raining on anyone or any store, just don't understand it as I am not from here I am a transplant.
Stacey

kass03
06/16/2005, 01:48 AM
Ive been to Hoffers a few times.
Very nice store and nice corals.

We just don't have much here for saltwater stores.
I get alot of my corals and such online because there is hardly ever anything unusual around here that I'm interested in.
I wish we had a big store like Hoffers.
We used to have Pet World in Appleton but they closed their store here which I thought was much nicer than the Milwaukee one.
I think most stores around here think we won't pay for anything out of the norm. They also have to mark it up high to make something on it and pay for the store.
I don't mind paying more from a retailer as I can see the coral/fish and if it's healthy or not but also hate to pay 3 or more times more so were kinda all stuck I guess.

Just pets was nice when they started along with some other stores around here but it seems like they let things go bad and also don't keep up with the latest in reefkeeping.

Spike was changing alot of things at Animal Adventures in Green Bay and it was looking good. I havent been there for awhile though because last time I went on a Saturday night and they closed at 5pm lol which I did'nt know.

I also like Sean at Midwest Marine but he's at his house so you have to make an appointment.

Yes I would say thats the norm for live rock around here.

kass

Staceyfb
06/16/2005, 10:41 AM
Speaking of animal adventures, the one here in Appleton is a joke for SW. THey have let it slide horribly. I do not mean to offend anyone, but I was in there yesterday and I sadly disappointed at how sick all of the SW fish looked nd the nice healthy ones were not for sale. Kinda made me mad that they were so dirty and sickly looking as there was noone in the store and both employees were just standing around doing basically nothing. When I was at Hoeffers, you were constantly cleaning a tank, you dind't let any tank go more than a week with out cleaning so that they fish stayed healthy and the tank looked goood for the customer. Wasn't the funnest part of the job, but it kept the fish healthy and made people appreciate them all the more.
Haven't ever heard of Midwest Marine, is he in Appleton here?

FVReefer
06/16/2005, 12:58 PM
Animal Adventured in Appleton is a joke. You couldn't give me anything out of those tanks. It just simply looks terrible. Joe and I are in Chicago every week, and we get around often to the various stores. There are a few that always have nice stuff, but it always seems that most of the stuff is the normal stuff. I think you have to be lucky and show up at the right time to get anything out of the ordinary.

Staceyfb
06/16/2005, 01:53 PM
I am heading to Milwaukee one of these days to head back to the old stomping grounds in hope of finding some very healthy livestock. I wish I could find a store in the area that has good quality LR. That is my main factor with the stores in this area. Premium prices and not premium LR.

kass03
06/16/2005, 03:25 PM
The Animal adventures in Green Bay is much nicer than the Appleton one. It's a different owner just the same franchise name.

Heres the thread about Midwest Marine. He's in Menasha/Neenah
I always get the 2 mixed up lol.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=555099

kass

nellie54914
06/16/2005, 11:05 PM
I've only gotten a couple things form Midwest Marine, a couple of things online, and everything else as frags from other club members.

Don Berry
06/17/2005, 07:47 AM
If you guys are ever in the Chicago area there are a couple of stores who always have nice and rare stuff. Great pricing as well. I've been to every store in the Chicago area and the two best are Sea Schor in Buffalo Grove and Reef Dweller in Chicago. These guys always have great SPS, Zoas, Clams, etc.

kiowascout
06/19/2005, 10:07 PM
I like to frequent Advanced Aquarium in Green Bay. It's on Broadway right downtown. They dont always have a HUGE selection, but the tanks look good and the two older guys (John and Adam) are very knowledgable and helpful. They seem to me as straight shooters and not out to sell you whatever is the most expensive item they've got.

kass03
06/19/2005, 11:00 PM
John is'nt ever there anymore is he? The owner?
Back when I started B.C. lol he taught me alot and was so much fun. My hubby and I used to go there all the time just to shoot the chit with him.

Scott the owner of Animal Adventure in Green Bay used to work for John at Advanced also.

Welcome kiowascout glad you found our club!

kass

kiowascout
06/20/2005, 08:50 AM
John is there in Sunday's most always. But, yeah, that's about the ONLY time I see him.

Adam runs the place pretty much in john's absence and is pretty easy to wheel and deal with. John and Adam are brothers also, so they are pretty similar in mannerisms and personality.

Scott at Animal Adventure is a good guy! I didnt know that he used to work over at advanced. I'll have to ask him about that the next time I am in and see what he has to say about it.

Isnt it interesting how you can know all these people, but not know each other?

kass03
06/20/2005, 02:03 PM
Oh yeah I could tell you stories about all those guys.
It was more like going to a bar than an aquarium store but we werent drinking lol.
They were always doing things like throwing bristle worms down each others shirts.
I still tease Scott when I go to Animal Adventure.
I'm gonna have to go see John on a Sunday. I havent seen him in years.
If you see John tell him I'm the one with the potbelly pig. They all remember my pig Bacon and I still have her she's 15 years old.

kass