PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a bristle worm trap?

AquAsylum
06/14/2005, 01:36 PM
So, our anemone looks like crap. I think several things have contributed. Our water is very good quality, but I had been dosing iodine, which I have recently been told is very harmful to inverts, when I had previously read that it was beneficial.

We also have a nasty looking bristle worm that was in the nem's original neighborhood of the tank. I don't know if it bothered the nem, but her foot is really torn up and I don't know what else would have done it. I want the worm out one way or another. I tried a home made trap and will keep baiting it nightly, but I don't anticipate much success. I know the best way to remove a worm is to remove the rock in which it lives. Unfortunately, this worm's primary rock is the foundation rock for our whole aquascape. I will tear the system apart if I have to but would rather use a different means for evacuation.

I saw a pez dispenser type worm trap and am wondering if any locals might have one I could borrow. I don't know what makes it special, or if it is even just a gimmick, but I'm willing to try almost anything.

This was a great anemone and looked beautiful (for all of a week) until she decided she needed the sand bed :(

Pete Starostecki
06/14/2005, 04:14 PM
I don't have one, but I think the pet store sells them for somethingl like $5.

multi striped 12
06/14/2005, 08:10 PM
The only thing that I have read about is the i/2 in or 3/4 in pvc pipe with holes drilled in it and a cap I think.........or just removing removing rock
not sure what else will work

the anemone will look for a place it likes.... and yes it may not be the place you want it

wahwoo
06/14/2005, 10:56 PM
Laura,

Iodine is a vital element but it is not recommended to dose. The chemists on RC say it should not be used as an additive. The replenishment will be made from the new salt water changes that you do for maintenance. Anemonees need high lighting to last and stay vibrant. Usually MH is needed but T5 might work. They usually struggle under PC.

How big is the bristle worm? Bristle worms are very beneficial to our tanks. Even the large ones are good, though they can be startling to see.

In our first salt water set up we found a HUGE worm one night when we came home late and flipped on the tank lights as a night light. This worm was at least 12" long. I thought we had a sea snake in the tank. I had no idea. I freaked and talked to every one I could about it. I never heard one person say that bristle worms cause any harm in a reef tank. The are another part of the clean up crew.

At the time I didnt want it in the tank no matter what any one said. I decided to combat this thing. On a nightly basis I was getting up in the middle on the night to try catching this giant worm. No traps ever worked. They ae fast and evasive. I pulled out the rock I thought it was in. Broke the rock apart and found no worm. Finally I speared it with a scewer one night which caused it to tear in 1/2 before I could get it out.

The 1/2 I had was about 6-8" and the 1/2 remaining in the tank was just as large, but hidden again. I didnt know if it survived until much later when we moved. I found it had survived and it never bothered anything.

My advice would be to leave the worm AND the iodine alone. The worm only carries a shock factor when it surprises you. Also, dont touch it . They sting like wasps.

Bugs825
06/15/2005, 04:17 AM
Hey Laura,

I had 3 anemones in my tank at one time with tons of bristle worms. I have never seen them do any harm. I also add a little Iodine from time to time and have never seen any ill affects.

Anemones are very cool but can be very hard to keep. Some people just don't have luck with them. My pink tip was growing so fast that I had to get rid of it. I hated to but he was huge in my little tank. He was under 130 watts of PCs and did better than good. I think that its hit or miss with these things.

Just don't take ANY advice as the truth. Some things that work for one person, won't for another. Keep at it.

Nathan

myakkareef
06/15/2005, 07:28 AM
I have tons of BW and 1-3 anenomes in my tank depending on how often they clone. Never have seen a BW by a problem to a anenome...What kind of anenome is it? I would stop dosing the Iodine also. Our tanks really do not need it if everything is in check....Go with the K.I.S.S. method as far as adding any thing other then food and and good water, really will take you alot further.

AquAsylum
06/15/2005, 08:09 AM
Thanks everyone. The anemone (was a M. Doreensis) did not make it. The iodine bottle has been removed from the house. We will let the system restabilize for awhile and then try again.

I hope you're right that the BW really freak us out more than they bother anything, because I don't see how I'll ever remove it.

myakkareef
06/15/2005, 03:31 PM
If you really want to remove it. late night, red lens flashlight, a dead shrimp, a pair of long handle hemostats, and your favorite drink...Sit back with the lights off, tie a string to the shrimp sso it can't haul it off, use a red lens on the flashlight because the worm will not notice it like a regular light, reach in and grab its behind....But I would leave him...I am sure there where many in the chaeto I gave you....

AquAsylum
06/15/2005, 05:56 PM
Without definitive proof that it is evil we are going to leave it be. They sure do look evil enough.

wahwoo
06/16/2005, 05:36 AM
Here are some iodine links:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.htm

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/mar2003/chem.htm