PDA

View Full Version : Local clams

Agu
06/13/2005, 07:14 PM
Went for a walk on Venice beach early last week. Since it was windy a lot of red caulerpa had washed up on shore. Don't know if you've noticed but often the caulerpa had attached to a small clam which as fate would have it gets dragged to shore with the caulerpa and eventually dies. However if you're there when they wash up you can collect these small clams live, which I did thinking it would be a treat for my mantis. The largest I saw was <3/4" although I suspect larger clams of the species just are harder to move.

Since I had two spares I dropped them in a 5.5 nano I've started. Thought they'd last a day or two before becoming lunch. They've survived a week and the tank water is crystal clear. Not surprising since they're filter feeders and clean the water.

Anybody know what species of clam these might be ?

I'm wondering if I can add them to other tanks as natural water cleaners? I recall a discussion with Dr Ron about using a clam refugium as a natural filter. He recommended littleneck clams but they're typically from a colder environment.

Bugs825
06/14/2005, 04:14 AM
Hey Agu,

They are most likely coquinas. I put a bunch in my tank and they lasted about a month. I think that they need the high flow because they are only found in the surf area of the beach. They can be eaten by humans so I'm sure that your mantis will love them. Here is a pic of coquina shells.

http://i23.ebayimg.com/02/i/02/00/f5/c0_1_b.JPG

Nathan

Agu
06/14/2005, 03:41 PM
They're not coquinas. I've collected coquinas from the sand at the shoreline and fed them to my mantis. Also coquinas are intertidal and can't survive in out tanks, I tried them too.

Pete Starostecki
06/14/2005, 04:08 PM
I hope they're not zebra mussels!

A buddy of mine brought some stuff I caught while cast netting about a year ago. He called me on the phone before arriving and told me he had a big coquina clam. Well, it turned out to be 8 inches long. I threw it in the eel tank to see what would happen. OMG! It started to FLY around the tank by opening and closing really fast! I mean, WATCH THE F OUT, HERE COMES CLAMZILLA! That adventure lasted 15 minutes before I threw the clam back in the bucket.

Agu, my rock had tons of clams when I first picked it up. Everyone told me that they'd all die and crash the system, but most are still alive after one year.

multi striped 12
06/14/2005, 08:13 PM
about a yr ago I got what the guy at puss and pups called a plain clam

still have it it's attached to a rock not sure what it's called

Agu
06/14/2005, 08:36 PM
These clams bury in the sand, attach to the bottom, and only their siphon tubes are visible. Next time there's a west wind I'll collect more and take some pics.

wahwoo
06/14/2005, 11:19 PM
A few years ago, I put two little necks from the supermaket in the tank. They lived for a few months before I got nervous and took them out. I was afraid that if they died they would foul the tank and i wouldnt even know where they were. They did what Agu described. Buried themslves and only had their tubes sticking up.

The clam refuge sounds like an excellent experiment.

Agu
06/16/2005, 10:26 PM
Well I went to the beach today and collected a few more. After extensive research I think they're Anadara tranversa. I'll check with Dr Ron regarding their utility in a reef tank.