PDA

View Full Version : Tank Drilling in appleton??

z28cam
06/13/2005, 10:07 AM
Does anyone know of a shop in appleton or nearby that will drill tanks? And Does a good job :)

jmkarcz
06/13/2005, 10:58 AM
Make sure you ask "HOW" they drill. a friend of mine had his done for about 12$ a hole (i think) and they used the smaller bits from menards and drilled many homes and connected them.... kinda cra**y job...

Jason

15 holes and counting.

z28cam
06/13/2005, 09:02 PM
We had a single 3" hole drilled. Tri City Glass. 30 bucks. I priced the bit and it was 80. Dropped it off ... picked it up in less han an hour.

Gem Tang Rider
06/13/2005, 10:24 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3101&item=8198147656&rd=1
You can't beat this place for diamond hole saws.

FVReefer
06/14/2005, 10:49 AM
Being in the construction business, I buy lots of different types of drill bits. I would worry about a 8 dollar drill bit that should cost 10 times that much for a good one. I would feel bad about wrecking my 400 dollar sump because I bought a cheap drill bit that didn't work so good. When it comes to tools, you generally get what you pay for.

gooch
06/14/2005, 02:12 PM
Old Castle Glass in Green Bay drills them for about $15 a hole.

jmkarcz
06/14/2005, 02:12 PM
Thats the same bit i've used 15 times and counting... getting it down to a science now,

Don't drill tempered....
Don't drill tempered....
Don't drill tempered....
Don't drill tempered....
Don't drill tempered....
Don't drill tempered....
Don't drill tempered....
Don't drill tempered....

(All 55's are tempered.)

Jason

Gem Tang Rider
06/16/2005, 09:48 AM
There are certain times when it makes cents to spend more for a tool. I've been turning wrenches for 30+ years.
These drill bits are not the best quality. But if you are drilling a few holes, they will do the job. When cutting glass, you need a variable speed drill, & you need to go slow.
I was very sceptical about drilling with these bits. The smaller bit even wobbled side to side a few thousandths, but since your rotational speed is so slow, it didn't matter.
Some people need a Hummer to get where their going, some don't.

FVReefer
06/16/2005, 01:07 PM
I guess I am kind of closed minded when it comes to buying tools. I just buy the best I can, when I buy a tool. I work with Stainless Steel every week, and that stuff eats drill bits and then laughs at you. LOL. It eats the high quality bits too. Your correct prugs, if your gonna drill a couple of holes, a cheap bit will probably do just fine.

Gem Tang Rider
06/17/2005, 11:14 AM
Ahhh stainless steel:Destroys cobalt drill bits in seconds.
FVReefer, I'm not trying to be right. I'm just a little frugal sometimes:)