PDA

View Full Version : To Drill or not to Drill, That is the Question

sschafer
02/02/2002, 07:52 PM
Hi all,

I have a number of extra tanks sitting around and I'd like to set up a fish only tank to keep some of the more agressive fish that can not be kept in a reef tank. I know I have at least on 55 gal, a couple of 29 gal, and a bunch of 10 gal tank. Obviously none of these have internal overflows. I'd like to either drill one of these tanks for an internal overflow or get a hang-on skimmer/filter. I should mention that some of these tanks (at least the 55gal) are pretty old, possibly 20 years. Would drilling a tank this old be a bad idea? Anyone have experience drilling 55 gal or smaller tanks? If you would not recommend drilling what hang-on skimmer/filter setups would you suggest? I would really like to avoid a hang-on overflow.

Thanks,

Steve

Playfair
02/02/2002, 10:58 PM
Hey Steve- I had my 20g sump drilled, one hole cost me $30 bucks. Perhaps a good DIY thing, but I wouldn't. I also wouldn't bother on OLD tanks (except to practice?) as a new 55 is only like 50 bucks... Just my $.01

_ShotgunShrimp_
02/03/2002, 10:34 PM
Where and Who are you getting to drill these tanks im wanting to make a sump but have yet to find people that can drill tanks and most are all tempered glass and ???? no luck HELP :)

ReeferMac
02/05/2002, 07:35 AM
Drilling glass is funny. The one store up here that I know does it is Jon over at Marine Oasis. However he does NOT offer a guarantee... I brought him my refugium many moons ago when I was setting it up. Said I could pick it up Thursday night, I had the order for the Det. Kit coming Friday morning (got the day off of work and everything). Go on Thursday to pick it up, and there it was, in a million pieces, sitting on his floor :-(

Had to walk out of there minus one very nice 29 Gal AGA tank, and over to Petco to buy a cheap-o tank to replace it. Fortunately I had a HOB overflow lying around, so was able to get my refugium setup... but I hate having an overflow on it for a million reasons. I was most soured by the experience, as I never found out about his "No Guarantee's" policy until I showed up and asked to see my tank. Needless to say I haven't bought a lot of things from Jon.

I've seen a lot of DIY drilling stuff on the web.. some people suggest getting some sand and a piece of Copper tubing attached to a Drill. I can see how technically it would work, but wouldn't want to do it myself. However if I had some old glass lying around... I'd give it a whack. Glass Drill bits are expensive, but not impossible (50 bucks I want to say?). Ask around the boards, I'd bet you could find out more. Search the archives first, I know this has come up.

- Mac

sschafer
02/07/2002, 11:39 PM
Thanks for the info guys. My father actually has a number of glass specific drill bits. This past weekend I tried something I read online. I used a Dremel engraving tool with a diamond tip bit. It actually worked pretty well, but took to darn long. I think I'm just going to get a 75 gal reef-ready now since the 55 gal tank I have now is really too small. I'm still planning on trying to drill a few tanks for sumps etc.

-Steve

ReeferMac
02/08/2002, 08:10 AM
My father actually has a number of glass specific drill bits.

Well then... we're going to have to talk. What sizes? I've got plans you see... (it's great owning a house!)

- Mac

dank11
02/10/2002, 03:10 PM
Hey! just for any new people (I think any one who knows
Marine Oasis already has their own opinion )
But Jon has always been straight forward with me
I know everyone has their own opinion
I think Jon's is the BEST place around to get advice and supplies

Gary Majchrzak
02/11/2002, 01:51 PM
Not many places guarantee drilling glass...I don't know of any.Mac- I'm sorry it didn't work out at Marine Oasis for you.John's forte IS pleasing the customer,and you walked out too soon.He may take awhile to get it straight,but he rarely,if ever ,fails to come through...{sounds like you had a TIGHT deadline with the detrivore kit and all.}Matter of fact,I think the replacement tank is still sitting up there at the big M.O.

dmorel
02/11/2002, 03:40 PM
We do all have our favorites (ok, there are really only two reasonable choices, caribean forest and marine oasis, at least locally) There are pro's and con's of both.

At the end of the day though I would always say that Jon is as good a guy as there is. He's definatley got a lot going on most of the time, so you have to try and pin him down, but when you do he will talk with you and do everything he can to help you out.
It's good business, and he seems to do it naturally.

Yesterday I shopped both stores (and visited with todd and gary at CF) and was pleased on both ends (though I didn't get anything but some food from MO, just luck of the livestock draw there).

My as always rambling,
-david