PDA

View Full Version : Maroon clown sexing (again) - specific question

Angel*Fish
02/02/2002, 04:45 PM
Have searched threads, the net & have ordered JW book...

Can anyone tell me something about the dark coloration in regards to sex?

I keep reading that the females become very dark (which mine is) - But what I would like to know is whether a little brush of dark color on the fins of an otherwise bright orange ~1 1/2" - 2" maroon clown indicates it has begun the process of turning female ?

I've introduced this fish to the tank and have an egg crate partition in place. The female has stopped trying to actually bite him (She can get to him the way it is presently set up) She kind of charges at the partition and when he turns sideways, she seems satisfied and goes about her business.

If he comes around to her side, he gets the vicious attack again although I don't think she has actually injured him further. He got pretty beat up before the eggcrate.

He spends a lot of time looking for a way out of the tank and as far as I can see has lost interest in the anemones- who could blame him? But that's what makes me wonder if he is a she.

Any opinions?

PetConnection
02/03/2002, 12:32 AM
IMHO....

Most maroons if kept separate from their kin will turn into females, and turn into the dark "mature" coloration you may have described starting. Unless you have observed a coloration change, I would discount the dark spots as any reliable sexing method. Maroons grow to a darker color v e r y s l o w l y...

Pairing them up is easy, just make sure one (probably female) is larger by 3/4 to 1 inch. If they are too close in size they will probably fight, leading to the illness or death of the intended partner! Maroons like the bubble tip anemone, or will sometimes like a ritteri (magnifica), or even a long tentacle anemone.

Clowns can change their sex, so as long as the size difference is in place, your "maybe female" should change into a "definate male"...ahhh the beauty of evolution :D

PetConnection
02/03/2002, 12:41 AM
One more note...

The female may routinely chase or "nudge" the male and subordinate males. This is a way of keeping the natural order of the clownfishes' colony sex. Males are kept small by being second to get any food that drifts by... But if the female were to perish, the breeding male would turn into a female, and the "head" subordinate male would turn into a breeding male.

If the size difference or maybe the male's "mojo" ain't working...then you may be out of luck!