PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using the new Sony DSC F707 to photo their.

coralsandbar
02/01/2002, 10:55 PM
Hello Everyone,

I was wondering...Is anyone using the new Sony DSC F707 Digital camera to photograph their tank?

It's the new 5 megapixel digital camera! It's only limitations seem to be memory stick and manueverability toughness.

thank you,

Rob

Trailer Trash
02/02/2002, 11:17 AM
I just bought this camera in a moment of weakness....
Yes the memory stick with the camera is only 4megs.
I use the smallest picture size(640/480) and can get about 20 in memory.
The picture quality is great. Havent palyed with it much and needed to up dated the webbsite. This camera blows away my other mavica.

hubris007
02/02/2002, 11:49 AM
just curious.
As a general rule, mavica's aren't really great cameras, are they?
Don't they only have video quality lenses or something? I'm looking at a entry level camera right now. leaning towards the canon A20.
Sorry, that's totally off subject, but the world revolves around me.
:bum:

coralsandbar
02/02/2002, 04:22 PM
Hi Trailertrash,

thanks for the info.

It does sound like a great camera.

thanks for your imput.

I'm still debating.

Rob

coralsandbar
02/02/2002, 04:22 PM
Hi Hubris,

I haven't looking into the Canon A20.

I'm still keeping my options open.

Thx.

Rob

cone9
02/02/2002, 08:04 PM
I almost bought the Sony but got a Casio QV4000 Plus instead.
The Sony has lots of cool features and you can get right on top of your subject in macro. One thing I didn't like was that you plug the remote shutter release and the accessory flash into the same port - therefore, you could not use both(should you ever want to) at the same time.

coralsandbar
02/03/2002, 10:55 AM
Thanks Cone9 for the info and advice. I'm going to look into other cameras as well and check my options.

thx.

Rob

cone9
02/03/2002, 02:59 PM
FWIW, here's the list of the cameras I looked at most closely before I bought: Sony DSC F707, Casio QV4000, Canon G2, Nikon 995

From what I read, the Nikon is outstanding for macro but if I understand it correctly, you need to make a lot of changes by working through menus(best to ask the guys with this camera about that) - OK for macro but perhaps cumbersome to use quickly if the field when you want pics of the kids or scenery or etc. in a hurry - don't know, just seems reasonable to me. That's just my impression form reading reviews and specs - not from any personal experience using the camera.

Casio lens = Canon lens, just different features in the body(and pocket book). Casio has a lot of dedicated buttons for functions - I can make most changes I'd want to make quickly without scrolling through menus. Also with 4.13 megapixels I figure I can compensate for not getting as close with the macro by cropping and still have great macro pics (once I get good enough that is). Has an optional wired shutter release(only $18) that controls many camera functions without touching the camera. I got the camera with the optional 340 megabit IBM microdrive - I'll probably take pics for 6 months before I have to delete any!!! Uses 4 rechargeable NiMH batteries(inexpensive to replace) that you recharge OUT of the camera - comes with the charger - and you can use regular Alkalines if need be in a pinch.

Sony has cool IR features. It will focus on a subject in total darkness using IR light, then you can take the pic as an IR image(really useful if you are a Navy SEAL) or using regular flash - all without disturbing your subject with any visible light! But then, how much would you use such stuff? Also has a much touted new TTL focusing system - supposed to be very good. Additional memory cards are a lot more $ than CF cards. Dedicated battery that you recharge IN the camera. Now to me that means my camera is down until I recharge unless I buy an extra battery and external charger. But don't get me wrong - I really wanted this camera, just thought the Casio would be more versatile for my uses and give me more features I'd use for the money.

All four cameras are rated as very good for battery life.

coralsandbar
02/04/2002, 08:54 AM
Hi Cone9,

Thanks for the extensive info... I'll look through it. I may just go to one of the local camera shops to get some "hands on," feel for what works or looks best to me in person.

Thanks for the info,

Rob