PDA

View Full Version : new to VA

ballinnmiami
06/07/2005, 04:54 PM
Intro: Danny and I just moved here from Miami. I have a 29 gal reef tank. I work for the coast guard in Yorktown and just bought a new house in gloucester.

Currently I'm planning a in-wall 125 gal set-up. There is nothing in my are for saltwater fish and corals that I know of. I just found this club on reefcentral. I been on this forum for about a year and a half.

If any body has any info on LFS in my area please let me know.

jake2045
06/07/2005, 08:58 PM
The best I have found around is Atlantis Aquariums in Richmond,(I have not yet made it to Strictly Marine(Mike) but was told it is all so a great store) the owners are great people(Marvin and Michelle)Their staff (Nate) is very knowledgeable about reef tanks and saltwater in general.We also have a great store locally, Reef Chief. Jeff has a good seletion.You can also check out Fish Safari (Leroy) there is all ways something new.I jump back a forth between Richmond Reef Club and Hampton Roads Reef Club.If you have and ? JUST ASK.

Hockeyben51
06/08/2005, 10:37 AM
I live in york county (pretty close to you) and the stores on the peninsula aren't that great but you gotta know hat ur lookn for. check out petland, tonya pet ctr, petworld, but the best store i found is in Virginia Beach called Fish Safari GREAT STORE!!!

ballinnmiami
06/08/2005, 11:21 AM
I thought I was alone out here. I'm waiting on my ro/di unit from ebay so I can do my water change. Back in miami I just bought my saltwater and freshwater. Anything especial I should know about well water????

Also I'm currently looking into purchasing a return pump for my 125. any recommendations!!!!!!!!!!

Does the supply and return gph have to be the same? I will have to run an external overflow box b/c my tank is not drilled.

thanks Danny.

GGGREGGG
06/08/2005, 09:59 PM
to be on the safe side your overflow should be rated for a little more than your return pump.... but you also have to take into consideration that you're gonna loose some gph depending on the amount of head pressure you put on the pump, or rather how far it is from the pump back up to the tank... the farther it has to push the water the lower the actual gph is when it gets back to the tank

Country Boy
06/10/2005, 04:48 PM
Welcome ballinnmiami Ex-Coastie Myself ! Did 4 Years Went through Yorktown about 7 Years ago for Machinery Tech School.. Then Out to CAPE DISAPPOINTMENT in WA " Ohh What FUN" :) Again Welcome to the area

ballinnmiami
06/10/2005, 08:29 PM
thank you.......I will be the MK hydraulics instructor.

update: I just installed my new ro+di unit (you know the one from ebay). I works fine, but my water pressure really sucks. I'm thinking of buying a booster pump for the 6 stage unit.