PDA

View Full Version : How hardy are clams

Shia
02/01/2002, 06:52 AM
I am thinking of adding some clams to my 180 gallon. Before I add them I want to get as much info as I possibly can. First off how hardy are most clams, what special chemicals do I need to add to my tank, how intense does the light have to be, and how fast do most clams grow on average? Sorry for all the question

GH Sniper
02/01/2002, 08:01 AM
Shia,

Well, your doing better than most by asking questions on the board. In order to answer your questions, I'll need some more specifications about your tank, lighting and water quality.

My tank is a 120G (48x24x24) and I use 2 x 250W MH 10K and 3 x 65W Atinic PC over my tank. I have a DSB of 4"+ and my water quality is great with CA up around 450-500. I haven't tested my Alk in the past week but I will do a total water test tonight.

Gererally speaking, clams are pretty hardy and if your new to clams I would recommend getting at least a 4"+ Derasa, Squamosa, or Hippopus. The maturity and type of clam make it fairly easy for you to keep without worry of a regular feeding schedule. Smaller clams must be fed on a regular basis and tank water specifications watched closely.

In an article I read recently, the truth be known that all clams need to be fed. The varied shape and size of particulate matter available to the clam also makes it critical for survival. I currently use DT's to feed my tank of 5 clams, of which two are new (Thanks Jim!!).

Shia
02/01/2002, 09:44 AM
I have a 180 gallon tank with 250 lbs. of live rock and 220lbs. of live sand. My running a berlin protein skimmer and have a wetdry that does 180 gallons per hour. For lighting I have a metal halide with two vho bulbs and three halide bulbs built in. I have an explosion of algae in my tank and am working to reduce it. My Nitrates are between 20-30 hope thats not to high. How much do the clams go for?

Shia
02/01/2002, 09:51 AM
Is there anyone in Chicago or Wisconsin selling hardy clams?

GH Sniper
02/01/2002, 10:33 AM
What wattage are the MH lights?
How deep is the tank?
What is your calcium or alk at?

You may have a tank that is about 18" deep and 175W MH would work but if the tank was about 30" deep then they wouldn't be sufficient for a clam on the sand bed. The Nitrates seem a little high.

How long hs your tank been setup?
What is the current stocking of your tank?

There is a book written by Daniel Knop, Giant Clams, that would be a good beginner book for you to review.

toptank
02/01/2002, 11:10 AM
Shia
If your tank is a 180, it is 24" deep. I would go with 250s IMO.

On my 180 I have 3 x 250 Isawaski w/2 x 140watt actinic for suppliments. With these lights you can have all of the Tridacna clams. IMO

I agree with what GH says as far as getting bigger clams as they seem to do better, but if you get small one then like he says you need to feed. With my small one I take out everyother day and put in a small bowl with DT's and let them eat for 30 min. then back into the tank. As far as nitrates they consider it like fertilizer.

I have some good links on my web site so if you want stop on by and take a look. Too long to list here. Just go to site and click on "clams" and you will see the links.

Hope this helps.

Barry