PDA

View Full Version : Power Outage Tips

Kyle McClain
01/31/2002, 09:48 PM
here are a couple of tips to help shore up your system.

battery powered air pump : this will provide water movement and gas exchange.

Here is a technique I devloped over the last two days to keep the temp in the tank resonable. I took jars ( I used mason jars but anything that is air tight will work) and put very hot water in them. ( This won't work of you have an electric water or stove you have to have gas) I left about 1/4 of the jar with air in it, this allows it to float. you may have to use multiple jars depending on the size of your tank. I managed to keep my 55 at 78 degrees over a 12 hour outage the temp in the house got as low as 60.

Hope this helps

Post any tips you have.

Kyle

rldavis
02/01/2002, 08:21 AM
Kyle,

I don't have any tips, but I wanted to comment on your resourcefulness. If our power had gone out all I would have been able to do is PANIC!!! I can tell you that I had plans that if the roads were the worst they've been in years, and if we lost power my butt would be going to Lowe's or Home Depot to get a generator. Screw everything else in the house, didn't care about the fridge, just run the tank off of it. :D That's pretty bad huh?
We've just spent so much time and money, not to mention that we really love that thing....it's like a member of our family now.
Glad to hear that you were able to keep afloat (pardon the pun). Hope everyone else was as lucky as you were.

Take care,
Becky

DrkShadow
02/01/2002, 10:09 AM
Great idea Kyle. I could have done that but too late now, I don't have any jars, unless I tossed out all the food out of any jars in the frig. :D

mobert
02/01/2002, 12:13 PM
Becky, If the power went out for an extended time, chances are, there will not be any generators left for sale---you'd have to get out there before the crowd.

DrkShadow
02/03/2002, 11:28 AM
HD got a bunch in, my parents got one so if I loose power again, I got 5000 watts at my disposal. It works awesome too. Running their gas heat, frig, fw tanks, tv with about 2000 watts to spare :D