PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have a spare 29 gallon tank?

nellie54914
06/05/2005, 11:57 PM
We're finally going to set up a fuge/sump for our tank (75g) and of course the 29g we used to have our freshwater fish in my husband gave away as soon as we started this tank up. Does anybody have a 29g tank they want to get rid of?

Also a question since we don't really know what we're doing, do you think that's a good size? We don't really have a size limitation, it's going to be in the room behind our tank so it can be whatever, we just thought that sounded like a good size. And we don't want to spend much money on it so we don't want to buy a big tank if it's not necessary. We don't need to put our filter in it since we already have one that's external, and we have a hang on back skimmer so that doesn't need to go inside there either.

~michelle

kass03
06/06/2005, 02:26 AM
The size would matter if you plan on having caulerpa and you need a light.
I want a 75 gal. lol and then you could have my 55 for cheap for a sump :D
I don't have a fuge and would guess they all work but bigger is prolly better.

kass

jmkarcz
06/06/2005, 02:40 PM
KASS,
I KNOW WHERE YOU COULD GET A 75 FOR ABOUT A 100 BUCKS...

WORKING ON A 120 FOR MYSELF RIGHT NOW.

J

kass03
06/06/2005, 02:53 PM
I know where you can get a 125 lol for like $300.
I think it's tank, pine stand and glass top.

Is the 75 used? (no doubt). I can get a new 75 for a little over $100 at that place in Oconomowoc I think but if it's a nice newer tank I might be interested.

Ive been to busy spending my money on acan lords and blastos and a ton of other corals lol.
Let me know who has the 75 though (pm me). I'm just afraid I'm going to move everything and kill it.

Sorry Michelle did'nt mean to hijack your thread.
I should have said on my first post size does matter :bigeyes:

kass

jmkarcz
06/09/2005, 09:04 AM
I've built my 29 into a wet dry, taller works better... I was going to use a 30 gallon as a fuge under my 75, but Dan talked me into a 55. lotsa space horizontally.

If yours is setup the way mine is, it's going to be tough to put the 29 or a 30 under the tank. I thought about draining my 75 more that 1 time to but it under, but access is limited with the height of the 29, and the stand. mine sits in the corner behind the tank.

Dan got me hyped up about puting mine in the basement. Your always welcome to swing by and see the mess that I'm fixing. (not as bad as I make it sound.)

I may know a guy with a bunch of tanks, I'll give him a call.

jason

nellie54914
06/09/2005, 12:31 PM
our tank is in our basement behind the bar, and is kind of in the wall. It's on a counter behind the bar, but there's a hole in the wall that it goes back into a few inches. All our stuff is behind that wall in that room, so space isn't an issue, we have plenty of space back there, that's where we're going to put that tank.

aberg12012
06/09/2005, 02:25 PM
Now having a 55, with about 1/3 of it as a fuge... I wouldn't want to go smaller. If your thinking about incorperating a fuge into the sump... 29 is too small. Since you say you have the room, I would go as large as you can. Although a 29 would work just fine if you didn't want to incorperate a fuge. A 29 would hold pretty much everything I have in my sump, minus the fuge.

nellie54914
06/09/2005, 03:21 PM
maybe i'm thinking wrong, i think it would probably be mostly just a fuge. Because our filter doesn't go in water, it's a canister filter (Magnum 350), so that wouldn't need to go in there. And we have a remora pro hang on back skimmer, so no skimmer to go in there either. What else goes in a sump, isn't that usually it?

As you can see, I really don't understand that part! So I would think we'd just use it as a fuge, right? Although I guess it wouldn't hurt to go with a bigger tank in case we want to switch someday and get a different filter or something.

aberg12012
06/10/2005, 10:15 AM
There is always more than one way to do things, and I hadn't thought of having a sump strickly as a fuge before. There would be a few issues to iron out, but that could certainly work. BUT... here is my oppinion:

If your going to go with an overflow system, I'd ditch the canister filter and incorperate filtration into your sump. As I'm about to explain, I really don't like canisters. To ditch it, all you'd really need is a filter sock, and a way to run carbon if you so desire, in your sump. Your skimmer, live rock, sand bed (if you have one) and fuge does the rest. The magnum you have I think only pushes on average 300 to 400 gph, which for a 75 reef isn't alot of turnover through a filtering system. And, canisters tend to become a massive grime bucket, that I don't clean out nearly enough. For me, canisters are just too easy to plug in, and forget about for a month untill there is no more than a trickle comming out. It's much easier just to run your drain line through a filter sock that you can remove and clean very easily. And if your putting in a sump, you might as well.

As for what goes into a sump... besides the fuge, mine has the drain line with filter sock, two heaters, a skimmer, return pump and auto top off switch. And it's got little to no more room.

Hope it helps. Again, there is always more than one way. This is just my way! :D

jmkarcz
06/10/2005, 11:14 PM
I met up with a guy in Appleton tonight with a 29, his name is Chris. He also has a few 55's, one has a minor crack on the brace, if it's not going to be filled to capacity, I wouldn't worry. otherwise, a quick reinforce job...

pm me if interested...

His wife wants him to thin out wis tanks....

I HAVE a 15 gallon, with the barriers in it, DRILLED and ready to go with bulkheads, I would part with it for what I have into it. no extra... tank was 15 from Scott (animal adv) and the glass ran 8-11$ and blukheads about 12 for both... and the 3$ tube of silly-cone. so about..... and the toes .... 40 bucks...just plumb it.

pm...

Jason

FlipFlops24/7
06/13/2005, 11:28 AM
i have a spare 29 gallon let me know if you are interested.

nellie54914
07/18/2005, 02:43 PM
We got a tank, thanks everyone for your help and ideas! :) ~michelle