PDA

View Full Version : Blue-faced angel mal-nutrition??

jim
01/31/2002, 03:28 PM
I have had a Bule-faced or blue-girdled angel for the last year and a half.

He is extremely active and fat, and seems to be healthy, except that he has white splotches on his face where the scales have fallen off.

I know this is a common problem with this fish, and was wondering if anyone has any ideas.

I currently feed my fish the mix of the 5 Formula Frozen foods (Angle mix, Spirulina, Formula 1 - brine, shrimp, etc, and Formula 2 - vegie mix), along with Nori a few time a week.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

LFSguy
01/31/2002, 05:59 PM
It sounds like your angel has HLLE (Head and Lateral Line Erosion). It is usually caused by dietary deficiencies or poor water quality. Obviously check your watter perameters, and try varying it's diet. Your feeding sounds good, but perhaps it is lacking in something (eg. vitamin C ?).

I've had success nursing tangs and angels back to health using a blended concoction of fresh and dry Nori as well as fresh seafoods like scallop, mussel, raw shrimp, and squid. I add Kent Zoe and a little Selcon (Cod liver oil) and poor the mush on a cookie sheet covered in wax paper and freeze it. I then break it in chunks and store it in freezer bags.

I feed this along with Ocean Nutrition frozens to affected fish at our LFS.

All that fresh seafood is expensive, especially if you are feeding only one tank, but this gives you an excuse to have some your self! :D