PDA

View Full Version : Single Clown... needs a mate?

Fasciatus
01/31/2002, 02:00 PM
About two years ago I inherited a pair of Clarkii clownfish (at least I THINK that they're Clarkii) and their dying (and probably dyed) Sebae anemone from some guy who was sold stuff that he didn't need by his local pet store. The anemone soon died, there was nothing that I could do, and a day later the smaller of the two clowns became listless and died as well.

The surviving clown is now huge compared to her original size, a strapping and healthy fish. Now, I'm aware that a clown does NOT need an anemone, even if it enjoys the hedonistic pleasure of tickling its belly with hair algae or the like. In fact, I've NEVER seen the clown feed or show any interest in the other stowaway anemone that appeared about six months ago.

What about another clown?

Same sex, opposite sex?

Is it possible to determine, conclusively, the gender of these beasts?

I've thought about it for some time, but I don't like to buy anything (especially fish) without some research and opinion-getting, and waiting.

mcbaes72
01/31/2002, 02:45 PM
Clarkii clowns can mate in the home aquarium. And tank-raised Clarkii clowns are available (easier to find online). I'm more familiar w/ Ocellaris clowns/False Perculas and from what I understand, the dominant clown will turn female and then, they're able to mate.

HTH a little.

-Michael.

Fasciatus
01/31/2002, 03:43 PM
As far as matching them up, size and whatnot, I have some research to do.

I'm curious if anybody here's actually done this, and what their experiences were!

Fasciatus
02/02/2002, 11:27 AM
Just borrowed a digital and got a pic...

(want to make sure that I get a mate of the same species)

T-T-Trigger
02/02/2002, 10:16 PM
AFAIK, it is not possible to determine its sex with a simple visual inspection. When dominance has been determined between two clownfish (generally) sexual roles are then also determined with the most dominant becoming a female. The rule then (with the rare exception) is that the female cannot return to male status. Since clownfish, very generally, grow slowly until a sexual role is determined, larger more dominant specimens can be assumed to be females.

In any case you want to get a smaller specimen than your current resident so the battles over dominance will cause less damage and be over faster since one's superiority over the other would hopefully be obvious to the two clowns. I would pick it from a group or pair tank at the LFS, trying not to buy the largest one for obvious reasons.

A good book (and cheaper than most:D ) is Joyce Wilkerson's "Clownfishes" - a good read

fwiw, Chris

T-T-Trigger
02/02/2002, 10:23 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot... That is an Amphiprion Clarkii

Fasciatus
02/02/2002, 10:43 PM
Chris,

Thanks for the great overview and for confirming that the species is actually what I had thought. Will pick up the Wilkerson book.... this sounds like a fun project!

Cheers,
Rob