PDA

View Full Version : anyone ever been to Ken Ding???

Afishianado
06/23/2000, 07:10 AM
Anyone? I am in Tainan (Taiwan) right now (not too far from Ken Ding and was wondering if anyone had ever been to there for the snorkeling and diving. I am wondering if it would be worth the day I would have to spend before flying back to the U.S.

Chris

horge
07/01/2000, 08:37 AM
I asked around and it is said currents are not to be trusted from 3pm onwards to daybreak this time of year.

I know it's just hearsay and this comes very late (I'm busy with my own overseas stay :)), but I hope this helps

Afishianado
07/02/2000, 04:49 AM
Thanks Horge,
I am back in the states now. I did go to Kenting and do some snorkling. It actually was better than I expected. Quite a bit of SPS and some leathers. Current was strong agreeing with your info. I do wish that I could have gotten more away from the touristy area. One big thing for anyone to know if you go there. There is a Nuclear power station right there where many people are swimming and snorkling. The intake for the primary coolant system is actually quite close the recreation area and there are no boundries or barricades to speak of. The locals warned me by basically just saying don't swim that way. I didn't see for myself but I was told that the exhaust for the same facility pretty much wiped out all reef life for a pretty good sized area (go figure). But I did hear that the best snorkling is near the lighthouse. There are several boats that take people out to a floating dock to snorkle. Costs about $400 NT dollars, I didn't go to these places I wanted to get away from everybody and go where people are scarce. We got a local man to take us out on a SeaDoo jet ski to a place he knew about. He just kind of puttered around for an hour or so while were in the water, close by incase we needed to go. I was not disappointed. Cost was $500 NT dollars ($16 u.s. dollars)

Chris