PDA

View Full Version : Now that I have the MH lights, I have another question...

dmorel
01/30/2002, 11:21 PM
Gang,
Got some Metal Halides tonight from a local who was converting to fish only, and got an opportunity to see Todd's tanks too.
(Which were very very nice)

Anyway, tomorrow I am "working from home" which of course is a euphemism for I am setting up the new lights (I love being ahead of schedule) and I know there is something about the way the bulbs need to be sitting in the socket, but I don't remember what it is.

Can someone describe to me what it is I need to know? There is a metal rod inside the bulb that either has to be facing up, or facing down, something like that.

Dave, I think these are actually your old bulbs, at least if I followed the story Brad was telling me correctly (which is not necessarily likely...)

Many thanks for the previous thread.
I am barely managing to resist setting them up tonight.

-david

Gary Majchrzak
01/31/2002, 01:57 AM
dmorel- the orientation I believe you are referring to is the nipple of the MH lamp-which is the seal of the glass envelope. I have heard conflicting reports on where you should align this nipple :top vs. bottom,but I personally have never made an effort to align the lamp in a special direction.The important thing is to use a good reflector,IMO. Turn 'em on- the neighbors will think a new day has dawned! -Gary

Playfair
01/31/2002, 09:07 AM
Congrats on your new lights! Be careful with the acclimation, or you can bleach your corals. Perhaps start out with the hood raised an extra 3-4" off the tank?"

Yeah those are my old lamps, prolly at the tail end of their useful life at this point...

You don't want the "nipple" of the inner quartz tube to point down. As for better explaination, do a search hear for "nipple" :eek1: and you'll get an earfull info.

Gary Majchrzak
01/31/2002, 09:16 AM
Or if your search is real lucky- a mouthful!!!

ReeferMac
01/31/2002, 09:58 AM
Hey Dave,

I've heard the opposite of what Dave said - nipple should be pointing up. Opinion's conflict on the matter. What I would suggest doing, is try one up, one down, let them run for a few days, and see which you like better. That way you can make your own mind up.

Dave's right - watch for bleaching and other signs of problems. You can also shorten your photoperiod, as opposed to raising the hood (a little easier, depending on your setup).

Let me know if/when you replace those Bulbs. Ever Since Brad started giving him money for them... I'm tired of the 5500K look for my refugium, and don't care how old the bulbs are (I'm just too chep to buy a new one for algae).

And yes, you'll want to assure your neighbor's you're NOT growing Dope in the tank-room...
:bum:

- Mac

drtango
01/31/2002, 01:57 PM
Hi from a newbie to the group, sorry I didn't get to the meeting.

Good article on nipples (on halide lamps) below

JT

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/jan2002/productreview.htm