PDA

View Full Version : Any online places for dive equipment?

Merlin
06/19/2000, 01:16 PM
HI,
I was wondering if there are any places online to get cheap diving equipment?

------------------

surlynkid
06/19/2000, 01:22 PM
what are you hoping to find? tell me what and i may be able to help. there are a few, but the dive industry is pretty tight. most of the top equipment companies do not allow the gear to be purchased mail order. the crappy companies do, but this is life support equipment. i won't pinch pennies on that.

scott

Merlin
06/19/2000, 02:17 PM
Thanks Scott,
Not really sure. I have my mask/snorkel/fins/boots. Just was going to take a look at how much to get a whole setup = BC, reg, guages, computer :) etc. I'm going to Mexico in a few weeks to go diving. Basically, I'm from Canada, and I thought that if the diving industry is anything like th reef industry, I should be able to find things a lot cheaper online.

------------------

billsreef
06/20/2000, 07:08 AM
All life support equipment suppliers to "allow" thier products to be sold mail order. The equipment you see offered mail order is "gray market", not obtained from the normal distribution. While it can be cheaper you will not have a manufacturer's guarentee on the mail order stuff. IMO I still get life support and other equipment from my LDS, I like to know who is servicing my equipment and I like to know they will still be in biz when I want to get my tank filled :)

------------------
Bill

If damsels grew as big as sharks, the sharks would run in fear!
My dive photos (http://hometown.aol.com/billsreef/)
ICQ 56222784

Merlin
06/20/2000, 07:53 AM
Hmm,
I never really looked at that way. Thats certainly a valid point. FWIW though, I'd very rarely be getting a LDS to fill my tank. Most diving I'd do would be away from home. The problem is is that there is only one good dive shop. Theres another thats probably going to close down soon, and another that does a little, but thats it.

------------------

surlynkid
06/20/2000, 06:16 PM
look at divers-supply.com

any good reg or BC is not available mail order but.....almost all BCs are made by soniform. check out the new dive rite reg that can probably be purchased from divers supply. the absolute best regs you can buy are apeks. they are now carried by seaquest. i dive 300 fsw in caves doing exploration breathing mixed gases, so if anyone thinks i don't know my regs, they are mistaken. trust me on what is the best from a breathing and reliability standpoint. look for a zeagle dealer and try to get a zeagle reg. start calling anybody that carries them within 200 miles. zeagle just lost their apeks deal (went to seaquest), so they might be unloading inventory cheap. get the non-swivel, sealed first stage and the second stage that only has the +/- adjuster, not the knob that you turn. simplicity at its best. get a simple pressure gauge in brass. then get a wrist mount computer from uwatec. i bet you can find the uwatec on-line. any brass spg will do. get a suunto wrist mount compass.

scott