PDA

View Full Version : Fish size/environment

Satori
06/01/2005, 01:18 PM
Ok, I have a stupid question, please treat it as such.

All my life everyone has told me that fish only grow to thier environment. Is this true for freshwater fish? Saltwater fish? Both? Neither? If you raise a yellow tang in a goldfish bowl (no, I'm not suggesting anyone do this) will it still grow to be 8 inches?

I ask because a lot of people ask me, thinking that I have the answers because I keep a few fish.

Thanks,
Mike

phenom5
06/01/2005, 01:24 PM
completely untrue.

think of it like this, if you keep a baby in a cardboard box (much like the tang in a fish bowl...i'm not suggesting anyone do this.) it won't grow up to be a tiny person, same is true for fish. they grow to their max size, regardless of the tank that houses them.

BigDaddy
06/01/2005, 04:04 PM
I believe it is somewhat affected by tank size and it also depends on the fish.

I have a majestic angel that is 6" and has been that size for 3 years. It is much smaller than an adult in the wild.

But, my clarkii is about 4" and is 6yoa. He's probably the same as a wild adult.

jeasley
06/02/2005, 07:19 AM
It varies from fish to fish. Like BigDaddy said, some will limit their growth some will keep growing

cerreta
06/02/2005, 11:41 PM
It's like Darwin says... adaptation and competition for limited resources.

Change a habitat and the fittest individuals will find a way to survive. It makes no evolutionary sense for an animal to out live its resources. Thus, a grouper, with potential of 27" in a 220 gallon tank won't grow to 27", but it would be foolish to think it would be less than 6" when reaching adulthood.