PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question on diving

Staceon
02/04/2000, 10:54 AM
I have never been diving, but looks like I will be next year(honeymoon). Anyway, I have just a few questions. If we go to some tropical place and decide we want to go diving is it that simple? Meaning do I have to show some type of certification? Or is it more like skydiving, in which we would take some classes in the morning and go diving in the afternoon? Does snorkling intail all this too?

billsreef
02/04/2000, 01:02 PM
Diving does require training and certification. Many resorts do offer what is called a resort course. This consists of a couple of hours dry land course work followed by a supvised dive to a max depth of 50 ft.
For snorkeling all that is required is mask,fins, snorkel and water. If you seriously think you would like to go SCUBA diving I would strongly suggest getting properly certified before your honeymoon over going the resort course route, you will be more comfortable in the water and enjoy the diving more. Check out the thread Larry started on this subject a week or so ago.

------------------
Bill

If damsels grew as big as sharks, the sharks would run in fear!
My dive photos (http://hometown.aol.com/billsreef/)
ICQ 56222784

dogpoundmike
03/09/2000, 11:05 PM
Personaly I think a resort course is a great way to see if you will enjoy diving. Getting a c-card can be very expensive so give it a try first. Mike

narkosis
03/19/2000, 05:33 AM
Stace,

I live in the tropics, and what Bill & Mike say are basically true. They do resort courses in most places for about $30, including full equipment rental, divemaster or instructor, air tank, the full works.
If you're interested in the Open Water course after that, most resorts charge about $200 for a intensive course over a period of 4 days. But that doesn't leave you with much leisure time to do your own dives after that, unless you're staying for an extended period.

Roger

------------------
Reefers do it as deep as divers!