PDA

View Full Version : Rearing chamber

OctoMonkey
01/30/2002, 03:39 PM
okay, the briareus eggs are developing on schedule. so i am preparing for the patter of tiny em, er, suckers?

anyhoo, I have made a prototype but just thought of something. The babies will initially be housed in 8" by 4" by 6" cubes.

They will be able to see each other through the glass. Is that a problem? i know that when two adult octopus; the one with the long arms and briareus spotted each other they used to look agitated and agressive. I used carboard between the glass to stop them eyballing each other.

Do i need to drop the first chamber in the bucket/skip/can?
its worth noting that i am not putting all my eggs in one aquarium. Some will be batch raised in a 10 gallon refugium full of caulerpa and amphipods and some will be put in seperate chambers in another system......

any ideas folks????

colin

cephalopoder
01/30/2002, 04:31 PM
Hey Colin
I think it's recomended to leave the eggs with momma as long as she is alive until they hatch.
This keeps the eggs free of bacteria because momma strokes the eggs and keeps them clean.
The babies can be collected one by one when they hatch. The rearing chambers I am building will allow otctos to see one another. But thee will be places they can hide to get out of view. Have you read James Woods rearing chamber article?
chris

OctoMonkey
01/31/2002, 12:54 PM
Have you got one with eggs too? What species?

I have read as many articles as google will find but i dont think it mentions line of sight?!

One problem i have is that the octo tank is filtered with an overflow and didnt want to accidently lose any babies over the top. A fine mesh seems to promise a flood :) if i put it on the overflow. I had planned on watching for the hatching and then move eggs just before they hatch... but i will probably put my mind to solving the overflow problem.

is the mum any threat to new hatchlings or is the biggest threat each other? I have read they become canabalistic at week six, any thoughts on that?

How is mimic going? still better after w/c??
Colin

cephalopoder
01/31/2002, 09:37 PM
Colin, I don't have one with eggs yet. I am planning ahead for the future. I have a well thought out system I am putting together. Long time in development. As far as over flows go.. If you have one with the hole drilled in the side of the tank you can get a fish net breeder box and put that over the bulkhead fitting. That will give a good margin of safty to the babies and reduce suction. If it is a vertical over flow comming up from the bottom thats a litte more difficult. If you have pics of your over flow, post them or send me a pic and I'll see what I would do.
Do you have a source of food for the little ones yet?
And have you figured out how many you are going to try and rear. You will have hundreds to start!
The water change saved my mimic!!! I switched back to reef crystals and all is good. That was a close one. But the Mimic is eating, active and doing well once again:)
-chris

OctoMonkey
02/01/2002, 03:17 PM
I have counted 66 eggs. The rearing chamber will house 10 each, I just need to give sizes to the glass cutter in the factory for more if i need. but I had kinda decided to focus on 10 and batch the rest. Maybe I will try 20.

I have a guy in scotland, Dr Keith Todd who stays near me, who will catch and send mysis etc when i need them.

I checked my "zebra octopus" order today and apparantly it is still ongoing..... a company called Amblard, they are french...... still there apparantly...... well we'll wait and see......

What is the difference between mimic and wunderpus??? Know anyone with W/pus? Are they really similar do you think?
Colin

cephalopoder
02/01/2002, 03:41 PM
The Mimic and Wonderpus all come from the same area. The differences I know of are different patterns in the stripes and blotches on the mantle. The Mimic also has longer stalks over its eyes. I have had Wonderpus offered to me twice. The first time I had no empty tank for it, so I offered it on ceph list and James Wood was the lucky guy who responded and got it. It only lived a few days at the NRCC, I think due to cyanide possibly being used for collection. The second time I was offered it, I was on a octopus expedition in Costa Rica. When I got home I called my supplier and found out it died in his tanks a few days after he sent me the offering. It seems they are very delicate and weakend from the collection process and don't live long after. They seem to be available in the spring time so I will see if any come around this year. I got real lucky with the Mimic being healthy enough to survive!!!!!

OctoMonkey
02/01/2002, 05:30 PM
well, my "zebra" is still on order so lets see what happens there.......
Oh, and you'll probably know how this goes..... I promised only one tank in the living room this time last year..... I am now managing to sneak in number five hehe ;)

jamesbwood
02/06/2002, 02:19 AM
Getting enough live food (amphipods, mysids) is probably your biggest challenge. Cannibalism is a concern in bulk culture setups – esp with O. briarieus! This is also a species that I have seen leave the water on it’s own in the wild. . . and of course in captivity (I'm working on a paper on this now). Line of sight is not a concern for immature cephs.

James B. Wood

OctoMonkey
02/09/2002, 07:29 AM
james,
thanks for the reply. If line of sight was a problem i was back to the drawing board.....

I have managed to set up all my feeding needs with a guy over here who collects shrimps etc for sea life centres.

Will the remainder of the babies that i cannot allocate in an individual chamber be canabalistic from day one?

Colin