PDA

View Full Version : Cotton Dive Gloves?

horge
03/13/2000, 07:25 AM
Everyone keeps nagging me to get smart and use gloves all the time. But then they mostly recommend these light cotton workgloves (sort of like sock material).

I get cut and spined once in awhile, so yeah, I can understand. But wouldn't the cotton make snagging sharp edges even more likely? And wouldn't gloves of any material nake your hands even clumsier?

Just asking.
Or do you guys use gloves at all?

billsreef
03/13/2000, 08:26 AM
I can't stand cotton work gloves on land, never mind water. For diving my local barnacle encrusted waters I use water ski gloves in the warm water they usually have a good tight fit wich will make them easy to work with and I find they hold up to use for several seasons. If you want to really know about clumsy I have to use 3mm neoprene gloves for most of the year :) and a 5mm wet suit.

------------------
Bill

If damsels grew as big as sharks, the sharks would run in fear!
My dive photos (http://hometown.aol.com/billsreef/)
ICQ 56222784

bmw
03/13/2000, 11:02 PM
H*** yes, I use gloves--or did while I could dive. There is enough stuff on the main board to let you know,especially you Horge, to know who knows what will sting you-or try to take a bite at you. Geez--I found out over the years to do a full suit--maybe lightweight or not depending on temp- to do any serious diving(ie-hunting,exploring).
And Bill--didn't you scold me about wearing gloves when this section first started up?
Maybe someone else. :)
b.

horge
03/14/2000, 01:30 AM
Haha.
We all know the sea-nasties waiting out there, bruce.

I guess it's just ingrained bad habit on my part. When I snorkel, it's often just trunks, fins, collection bag, mask and tube. It's hard to pick up small, loose frags with any kind of gloves on.

Ski gloves would be pretty tough to find here, bill :) I've tried MX gloves (yeah, I was a biker once, hehe) --depressing loss of dexterity-- would THOSE be comparable to ski mittens?

billsreef
03/14/2000, 04:50 AM
Bruce, I don't wear gloves in the tropics, but than I am not collection coral either. Around home I mostly have barnacles and muscles wich don't seem to have a problem with getting touched, but sure do a number on your hands. Too be honest, since I've refined my diving technique over the old Neanderthal gauge dragging days I find I don't touch bottom around here enough to actually need the gloves except in high current areas.

Horge, I think the MX gloves are padded wich would definately be pain in the ****, probably simular to my 3mm wetsuit gloves :) Makes me really look forward to the 2 months of the year that I can go gloveless and hoodless, can't hear a damn thing either :D

------------------
Bill

If damsels grew as big as sharks, the sharks would run in fear!
My dive photos (http://hometown.aol.com/billsreef/)
ICQ 56222784