PDA

View Full Version : Cozumel

Larry M
02/08/2000, 08:13 AM
Hi gang--back from 4 days in Cozumel, we should have stayed longer. :) The weather was great except for Saturday, which was kind of windy and cloudy. Still shorts weather, though, so we used the opportunity to drive around the island.

Anyway, for the snorkeling: it was awesome. This was the first time I had snorkeled, so it wouldn't have taken much to impress me, but there were lots of fish around us at most times. We went on three separate occasions, once on a deserted beach on the windward side, once from shore at the Chakaanaub (sp) Marine Park and once from a snorkeling boat (glass bottom). Both times I had fish swimming inches away from me. We saw sargeant majors, lots of niger triggers, queen triggers (one huge) parrotfish (gorgeous) blue tangs, trumpetfish, rays, a snappper about 5 feet long, moray eels, queen angelfish, and a ton of fish I couldn't identify. There would have been more corals on the deeper dives, I'm sure, we did see a lot of gorgonians, seafans, favia, some nice sponges, and a lot of encrusting types that looked like porites (not sure what they were)

All in all, the trip was great. Two surprises, though: It was definitely not cheap. We had heard from a lot of people that Mexico was a cheap destination. I can tell you that at least Cozumel is no longer cheap so be warned if you haven't traveled there for a few years.
Secondly, the local people could be unfriendly, downright rude at times. We found this to be the case mostly downtown, the shopkeepers are very aggressive. Everyone is after your pesos. We stayed at Casa Del Mar south of town, the people were friendlier there, and the local restaurant's waiters got to know us by the end of the 4 days and we very friendly and helpful. The local people say the cruise ships are raising the prices, burning everyone out, and ruining the place.

I got stung by something the on the first snorkel, my leg stung for about 8 hours. :)
I stepped on a rock while walking around on the beach like an idiot without shoes on and stepped on a mostly-submegered sharp rock. Punctured a toe joint pretty good. :) But we loved it, and I can't wait to go back and put on the bcd. :D

------------------
Larry M

See my tanks at Northern Reef (http://www.reefcentral.com/northernreef/index.htm)

SkiDog
02/08/2000, 09:54 AM
Now I bet you want a bigger tank :)

Happy to hear that you had a fun and safe trip. Did you hear any thing about the two divers that where lost there last week ??

Later
Mark

Larry M
02/08/2000, 03:32 PM
No, now I want to move by the ocean. :D
I didn't hear anything about that, what a bummer. Even close to shore there are some pretty strong currents, though. Here's a page I put up with some pics:
http://www.reefcentral.com/northernreef/cozumel_trip.htm

------------------
Larry M

See my tanks at Northern Reef (http://www.reefcentral.com/northernreef/index.htm)

billsreef
02/08/2000, 04:00 PM
Welcome back!
Glad you enjoyed it :)
Porties can be common in some areas, however fire coral is probably the most common encrusting coral in shallow snorkeling depths.
Cozumel used to be known for leaving divers behind on drift dives years ago, they've gotten much better since tourism really took off down there, it suprises that they lost any one recently.

------------------
Bill

If damsels grew as big as sharks, the sharks would run in fear!
My dive photos (http://hometown.aol.com/billsreef/)
ICQ 56222784

[This message has been edited by billsreef (edited 02-08-2000).]

Larry M
02/08/2000, 04:06 PM
Bill--That makes sense, I read a lot about fire corals being common down there. I would have asked the divemaster (or is it snorkelmaster?) but I think after the 1000th time I said, "wow! look at that queen trigger", etc. he was trying to ignore me. LOL It was really something else for a land lubber like me to be floating and swimming with the fishes. I took some underwater photos too, should have them back later today. The one I didn't take is the one I really wish I had, the divemaster was swimming with 6 of us, I looked over and due to the fact that he had the fish food in his hands (tortilla shells) about 100 sargeant majors were following him. :D
I forgot about the blueheaded wrasses, lots of them too.

------------------
Larry M

SkiDog
02/08/2000, 04:19 PM
" No, now I ....... move by the ocean " Well that sounds like a bigger tank to me :D

Yep, two women where lost off a dive boat, last I heard they where not expecting a recovery :( I dont have the details anymore { trashed the e-mail }.

Nice photos !! Thanks for sharing them.
Have a great day.
Later
Mark

Macimage
02/08/2000, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the sharing your trip. Great photos. I also enjoyed reading about your tanks. Joyce

blackfish
02/08/2000, 11:25 PM
Sounds like a great trip, Larry! Good topside pix, how'd the underh2o ones come out?

Sorry to hear those beers weren't 35 cents like I had reminisced about. When will you and Kathy be ready to go to Turks/Caicos?! ;)
cheers,
blackfish

Larry M
02/08/2000, 11:40 PM
Hi John--I think next winter we will be ready to go back to the other side of the Caribbean, either the West Indies or wherever the cheap rates take us. The underwater pics....some are not too bad, as you know the disposable cameras are best when fairly close, and since we were snorkeling some are pretty far away. But a couple are worth scanning, should get to that in a day or so.
I did some reading on the rec.scuba newsgroup tonight about the lost divers--appears to be two middle-aged women from Colorado. What a sad deal that was. Funny I never heard about that the whole time we were down there.

------------------
Larry M

dogpoundmike
03/09/2000, 11:01 PM
Is there still life in this thread? Hope so because I just discovered this cool forum. We spent our honeymoon at the Barracuda 13 yrs ago. When it was cheap! $35/night. Some of the best diving ever with awesome drift dives. Larry this is a great sport so be safe, stay shallow, don't push the tables and enjoy. Mike

billsreef
03/10/2000, 04:23 AM
Mike,
Welcome to the boards. Life on this forum is somewhat sporadic but hopefully will pick up with the return of good weather.

------------------
Bill

If damsels grew as big as sharks, the sharks would run in fear!
My dive photos (http://hometown.aol.com/billsreef/)
ICQ 56222784

StarTraveler
03/10/2000, 03:47 PM
I try to go to Cozumel twice a year to dive. We usually stay at the Hotel Lopez. $20 a night with A/C. Family run hotel, very nice, clean family hotel, right on the square in San Miguel. You walk out of the front door and you are on the square.

I usually dive with a guy named Charo. He has two boats, doesn't advertise much, word of mouth mostly, but is still pretty busy. Laid back diving, will take you where you want to go or where he thinks is best for the day if you request. $50 per day = 2 tank boat dive, all the beer you can drink !) If asked, he will also set up your hotel for you at the Lopez. I have been going there 5 years now using the above hotel and Charo, and some of the guys in our group have been going there 17 yrs + with the same arrangements, never a complaint.

If interested, let me know and I can try to get his cell phone number for you. Also, look for wholesale airfare (around $270 RT out of Houston) and never go shoppping when the cruise ships are in !! LOL

Also, went to the Turks last year (Provodentialis sp. ?) on teh Sea Dancer. A little expensive, but the best live-aboard you can get !! You don't get better treatment anywhere, much less on a dive boat. If you can budget for it, an extremely great trip !!

[This message has been edited by StarTraveler (edited 03-10-2000).]