PDA

View Full Version : snorkeling in Maui?

darcitananda
01/30/2002, 02:19 AM
Hi everyone!

My sister and I are heading to Maui for the last week of February and we plan to spend quite a bit of time in the water. If anyone can recommend some snorkel spots that have beach/land access (i.e. I don't have to book a tour) that would be awesome. Turtles, dolphins, and sharks a plus! My sis and I are into those types of "off-beat" destinations that are not super touristy. We will be leaving only ripples and taking only pictures, so if you want to email me privately to tell me of any "secret" spots, feel free to do so.

Thanks in advance!
-Darcy

Ironreef
01/30/2002, 03:56 AM
I just got back today from Maui. I went to Lani Cuz my wife needed to learn in a easy lagoon/beach area and it was a nice way.She can't swim, they gave her a belt and taught her. After that couldn't get her out of the water. We went there also to see the 100 spinner dolphins and saw humpback whales. They came @100feet from us. Then we got dropped off in various places for 1/2 hour dives. we also went to Molokini and turtle town they are good but they all have ppl.Not alot maybe 20-30 most. if you want to just go to a beach most are good but you need to find the safe ones. There were a few lifeguard rescues when i was there. DT Flemings beach has to much current = not good for snorkeling. Ask the locals or the snorkel shops they will send you the right way. IME if you rent cheap equipment they leak and you won't have fun= salt in eyes. Either buy good stuff or rent the best but for rent you can almost buy in a week. Of all the stuff i did in Maui the snorkel was the best. Hawaii maynot have the best reefs but with all the fish and the Humpbacks breeding you will have fun with the cruzes. just depends on $$ and what you want. The boats are easies cuz they dump you off and look for sharks first the beach you need to travel over rocks sometimes for the best spot but worth it. Better than the Aquarium ocean center. I thought that would be better JME/JMO