PDA

View Full Version : Buying Coolpix 995?

puntific
01/29/2002, 04:12 PM
I am thinking about buying the coolpix 995. Best Buy has it for $850 and it has a $100 mail in rebate. It's a bit pricey getting it there but I can also buy a 4 year warrantee for $60 that covers everything including the battery. Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions on this?

Thanks,

puntific

mgk65
01/29/2002, 04:39 PM
Here is my thread in the Lounge:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50914&highlight=coolpix

60 bucks is pretty good for the 4 year guarantee.

I paid less than 400 for the whole camera ... :D

mgk

goldrim
01/29/2002, 06:07 PM
I would recommend against the Best Buy thing. Take a look at Techbargains.com and find a better price.

RustySnail
01/29/2002, 08:44 PM
JMHO, but compare the optics between brands... look for f-stop info (how much light gathering ability the camera has). If f-stop is too high, you may have to use the flash, and we all know what happens when you take a flash picture of an aquarium.

I know that digital cameras have correction for low light, but the more light you capture, the better the picture quality is going to be regardless. A simple correlation is the bigger the lens, the lower the f-stop.

I will be looking at getting a digital camera in the not too distant future, and at a glance, the minolta looks good (thier SLR digital camera).

Russ

ReefDiver
01/30/2002, 03:06 PM
Puntific: Try this site for the best recent prices on the Nikon Coolpix 995, which I own by the way and LOVE! Go to PRICESCAN.COM and search under digital cameras. I got mine from this site and paid $499.00 for it plus shipping and extras of course. Good luck and let me know how you make out.

Happy reefing, Steve L