PDA

View Full Version : Puffer stuck on intake...Power filter for 50G Puffer tank?

moviegeek
04/27/2000, 10:58 PM
Tonight I discovered my inflated puffer stuck to the intake of a powerhead in my recently setup 50 gallon puffer FOWLR tank. The tank houses 2 4" puffers with others to be added later. The tank is cycled with 50 lbs. old live rock. I really want to add some mechanical filtration to help clean up the bits and pieces left over from these messy eaters. Now I am concerned a hang on the back power filter will pose the same problem as the powerhead (it was a maxi-jet 750, rated for about 240 gph). Some of the power filters are rated for up to 400 gph!

I'm considering two smaller filters instead of one big one. I'm not convinced two smaller filters will be small enough, though. I was thinking two Aqua Clear 200s or two Penguin Bio-Wheel 170s.

A canister filter is another option, although I am not familiar with how well they work and are out of my price range for now.

Comments appreciated, as always.

Agu
04/27/2000, 11:44 PM
Choices are 1)sponges on all intakes, but if you don't clean them they're nitrate factories 2)Some type of mesh basket around the the intakes to dilute the suction (I've seen this at a LFS) or 3)A hang on specimen container. For the powerheads drill several small holes for the intake and one larger hole that fits the return. The power filter box could have notches at the top and work as a surface skimmer. To cut the notches use a Dremel tool or a cheap soldering iron (if you can stand the smell of melting plastic).

moviegeek
04/28/2000, 02:58 PM
Agu - Thanks! The specimen box for surface skimming is a good idea. I'll give that a go as soon as I figure out which power filter is best for my setup.

Anemone of the State
04/28/2000, 03:10 PM
I use powerhead "quick filters" without any media inside them to provide a rigid, permanent diffuser screen to keep things out of the intakes. It works really well. They are fairly large and unsightly, but can be hidden and eventually will host growths of corraline algae. They cost about $8 and fit most powerheads and intakes, or could be easily modified to do so. You might consider some hermit crabs or something instead of the mechanical filter BTW.

moviegeek
04/28/2000, 04:19 PM
I do have hermits in there. They eat the larger scraps. I want to mechanically filter the pulverized meat pulp that is too small for the hermits to be interested in.

This is not for a reef tank. This is fish only. I don't think I could hide the quick filters.

I just noticed in the new Pet Warehouse catalogue they are selling Mini Penguin Filters (100 GPH) on clearance for $7.73. They are only 5" wide. Placing 4 or 5 of these along the back and possibly sides of the tank might be an option.

Agu's speciment container surface skimmer is sounding good, too. Anyone else have experience doing this?

moviegeek
04/29/2000, 12:51 PM
Up

Q-ball
04/29/2000, 01:27 PM
Hey MG, my common-sense deficient puffer (can't call them dumb anymore, just isn't politically correct :D) got himself stuck to my Hagen 802 PH's intake twice before a friend gave me a great solution. I took one of the bioballs out of the wet/dry under that tank and jammed it into the intake. It didn't noticeably affect the flow, and now he can't get stuck trying to figure out what it is again! HTH

Q

------------------
Reality is merely a short-lived perception, make of it what you will.