PDA

View Full Version : how to take good photos using 35MM

reefgal
03/14/2000, 12:22 AM
I took TONS of 35mm pictures of my tank before I got my digital camera for Christmas.

Some considerations:

Your tank lighting makes a BIG difference. When I had NO flourscents on my 30 gallon tank, I had to use flash with fast film (800-1000 ASA) and all the colors washed out. There was no way to get good pictures with those lights.

Currently, my 90 gallon has (5) 96 watt PCs. I use 200-400 speed film (depending on how much grain I can accept), a tripod, NO flash and a 200mm telephoto lens. I leave ALL tank lights on. (I don't turn pumps off because my xenia looks like weeping willow....) The pictures come out great. Pictures of fast moving fish, or macro pictures in low light areas of your tank can be a problem unless you go with faster film.

Hope this helps.

------------------
Now, how do you pronounce (and/or spell) that again?

Reefgal in the desert

http://msnhomepages.talkcity.com/DeckDr/desertreefer/reefcover.html

Fishwife
03/14/2000, 10:14 AM
Hi All - I don't have the $ to put into a digital camera at this time (it all has to go into the tank) but I want to get some good shots. We took some the other day and most of the colors look washed out. Funny, the fish colors look vivid but the greens and pinks and purples of the corals and rocks don't look nearly as bright as in real life. We used 400 maxi film and a telephoto lens. Is there some kind of filter which would give us truer colors. My husband says they look over-exposed but that he had it on the highest (lowest??) setting so they shouldn't be.

Suggestions appreciated.

------------------
Fishwife

"By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea..."

Playfair
03/14/2000, 10:23 AM
IME, the contrast in the tank is a real killer (using natural lighting). I try to get as close to the subject as possible. Also try using a flash (up against the tank), especially if the shutter speed is less than 1/60 sec. Some people turn the pumps off. A tripod also helps, but I usually just lean on the glass. Actinics also seem to fall out of the color range of most film. I usually turn them off for picture taking.

Make notes of what you do, so you'll know after what worked. Finally, shoot lots of film! To make my spouse happy, I have to take 1/2 the roll of the family...

Hope this helps.
Dave

------------------

Mistress Reef (http://www.fortunecity.com/petparade/fins/1/reef.html)

Phillstone
03/14/2000, 08:08 PM
Shoot at night w/room lights off. If using flash don't shoot staight at tank (flash will bounce back off of glass.) May want to experiment w/ polarizing filter,helps eliminate glare (this is what helps give those tropic photos the rich blue sky and water.)

Have fun with it ,remember it's a hobby.
Phill

northshore
03/14/2000, 11:11 PM
Photography is also a hobby of mine and I have tried every technique I can think of to capture the real color in my reef tank. This is what gives me the best results.

If your lighting is good enough shoot using a very slow ASA film(100 or less). Use a tripod and I find the best results using no flash. The slower speed film will require longer shutter speeds but the color saturation/accuracy will be much better. Because the shutter speeds will be longer use a timed release of the shutter or a cable to snap the picture. This will eliminate any shaking of the camera as you are taking the picture.

NorthCoast
03/15/2000, 10:07 PM
I agree with northshore. I use 35mm and digital.

35mm - No flash, tripod, ASA <= 100, 200-300mm Macro Zoom (12" from glass), timer and focus locked. For color my best photos are without actinics. I shoot at night in the dark. I have experimented with various filters (it will depend on your lighting and personal taste). I still have certain fish that I just haven't been able to get on 35mm worth printing. :(

Here are two ideas you may want to try:
1) Have your photos put into digital format- .tiff, .jpeg, etc... It is very easy to color correct your photos on a PC with software.
2) Possibly get a second opinion on the processing from the lab. I had a former professional photographer at work look at my negatives. He took the negatives with specific instructions to the same place I had them developed. The results were "night and day". He also did that for some vaction pictures - all the original prints were over exposed!

FWIW Anyway,
NorthCoast

Dwayne
03/15/2000, 10:55 PM
So, I had some time and a 24exp roll of 200 ASA film. Using a tripod and my 10K 250w MH lights, I shot a roll of film.

Not too bad. The scanner definately needs improvement. I followed most of the advise above and was somewhat surprised with the results.

Thanks for the advise.

Dwayne