PDA

View Full Version : Donor: Neon green hydnophora

quaz
05/24/2005, 10:18 PM
Don't know the rules or anything but this is what I've got if there's any interest.

3 - finger nail sized pieces of bright green hydnophora

- current lighting is coralife 50/50 pc's & one stnd actinic
- depth is variable (will do good in most any lighting above standard)
- prefers gentle to med-high flow (not reef crest blasted)
- feeds on small meaty foods mysis / zooplankton (I hardly feed it though)
- Needs water w/ calcium 350-480ish
- over all it has the basic requirements of most sps coral

It's an easy coral to grow. With the right care it should double it's size in a few months at least.

the three frags are unmounted but the will soon encrust into and around any hole they are placed into (crabs and snails willing)

I can mount them on rubble before I give them though.

any takers, let me know.

P.S. I'm looking for nice ricordia or rhodactis shrooms :)

Thumper1
05/25/2005, 08:11 AM
Count me In..

Travis L. Stevens
05/25/2005, 08:41 AM
Me too.

--Want--
Thumper1
Travis L. Stevens

quaz
05/25/2005, 08:54 AM
ok... what do we do?

It's easier if I don't mount them.

I can bring them to work (Ultimate Reefs) when you want to pick them up. jus le'me know

Also, how is it recorded (in the donor program) who got what, when, and who'd be next on the list when the frag has grown to size?

Travis L. Stevens
05/25/2005, 09:05 AM
This is taken from the COMAS thread about it.

the DONOR program.

The idea of the donor program is to generate a pool of coral fragments that are available to all COMAS members, whether they are long standing members or new people joining us for the first time. The program works by having one of our members being able to fragment a coral they currently have in their tank. They pass fragments onto anyone that wants them, in the order they are signed up for. These people are called the sponsors. Each sponsor receiving a fragment agrees to pass a new fragment of that coral along, once it has doubled in size. At that time they pass it along to the next person on the list for that coral. At the time of making the frags they post a new thread on the forum. The next sponsor agrees to do the same..etc.

The thread should start with the word DONOR. For example, if I have strawberry zooznthids that I can frag, the title would be "DONOR Strawberry Zooanthids" . Below is an example of the thread contents, feel free to copy this and change the details to suit your frag....

Heres the program details.

Someone offers to donate frags of a coral. It doesn't matter if it is one, two or a dozen frags. They post the name of the frags in the COMAS forum. The thread should read

"DONOR: (insert frag name-Strawberry zooanthids)"

that way we can find all the frag threads and keep things tidy on the site.

When they are offered.........describe what they are, how you grow them, your conditions etc.... Also, put down the information on passing the next frag on.

A person receiving them is called the sponsor. The sponsor promises to try and grow the frags up till they are fraggable again. Once they are they should offer the new frags on the same thread as that originally used. By that time there may be new names on the list of people waiting. If there are...find the next name and contact them to let them know you have a frag for them. If there are no new names, just put your name down as having a frag if someone wants it.

The next person follows the same rules....

I use the following format...and feel free to copy this if you want to be a donor....

----------------------------------------------------------------------
I will have 5 strawberry zooanthid polyp colonies.

Each will be small, but will grow under VHO or MH lights.
Each is free to a member of the club providing that.....

They provide the correct environ for it to grow.

They are at the next meeting to receive a colony

They describe how it grows for them under their conditions, and what those conditions are.

They promise that once they are twice the size they are now, they will donate a colony the approximate size of the original donor colony.

If you wish to be a sponsor....reply to this list. The first five will get a colony. The next people on the list will receive frags from the sponsors when the colony has doubled.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Basically, whoever is first on the want list is given a frag first. Then they move up to the Have list and donate to the next person when the frag has grown big enough to be fragged. Now if this person has officially completed the entitlements to Donoring by fragging back or must keep fragging until there is no one on the list or must frag once but is free to keep fragging, I don't know. This will probably be left up to the next meeting. As far as recording so to speak, I will take it upon myself to see who gets what frag, when they got it, and when it was refragged for my own personal studies. But if the club wants this information too for the club to keep track of, then we will discuss that at the next meeting.

TheMcs
05/25/2005, 04:02 PM
Have:
quaz (Ben)

Want:
Thumper1 (Reuben)
Travis L. Stevens (Travis)
TheMcs (Greg)

quaz
05/25/2005, 09:00 PM
3... taken, cool. Unmounted green hydnophora, fingernail size.
The 3 are different and there is better qualities between them. so first come, first serve.
Pm me to meet where and when. I'm leaving tomarrow for the week end though. I should be at the shop untill 2 or so.

phetish
11/06/2005, 09:34 PM
Hey folks...

I received a frag of this about 2 months ago. but have not been able to grow it out like it should. In my tank, only the top 1/2 inch of it is the only part that will "get fuzzy" unlike all of the pictures i have seen of them. I'm going to attribute it to my PC's and my inability to give it the light that it requires.

I will be contacting the "Want List" via PM in order.

Have:
quaz (Ben)
phetish (Derek)

Want:
Thumper1 (Reuben)
Travis L. Stevens (Travis)
TheMcs (Greg)

quaz
11/07/2005, 01:14 AM
Greg (Mr. Mcs) How's yours doing? is it ready to be fragged and redonated? You're the only one that I think still has one from the original donation. Where did Rueben's go?

jjmcat
11/07/2005, 01:32 AM
Is rueben still around?

Travis L. Stevens
11/07/2005, 10:00 AM
I've removed my name because I got a frag from a different source, and it didn't make it. So I will hold off on this. jjmcat, as far as I know he is no longer in the hobby and moved to Texas.

Have:
quaz (Ben)
phetish (Derek)

Want:
Thumper1 (Reuben)
TheMcs (Greg)

TheMcs
11/07/2005, 01:07 PM
I have no idea where mine went. I had it mounted up high, seemed to have been doing well. Got knocked into the rockwork at some point.

Reuben's wound up back at UR. I brought it to the meeting that was there. Since Reuben wasn't there, someone, either Ben or Shane, put it to float in a tank. I forgot about it and left it there.

I technically 'have', just don't know where.

Travis L. Stevens
11/07/2005, 01:29 PM
Greg, do you know if Reuben is gone or officially out of the hobby? Last rumor I heard he was in Texas. If so, we need to take his name off the list.

TheMcs
11/07/2005, 02:45 PM
He's still in Tulsa, but temporarily out of the hobby. I'd say it's safe to remove his name.

phetish
11/07/2005, 03:29 PM
I tried to PM Thumper1but he hasn't signed on in 3 months so I'm skipping Thumper1.

TheMcs - you're up next - do you want my frag?

derek

kittyj
11/07/2005, 05:20 PM
Have:
quaz (Ben)
phetish (Derek)

Want:
Thumper1 (Reuben)
TheMcs (Greg)
Kittyj (Kimberly)

TheMcs
11/07/2005, 08:29 PM
Have:
quaz (Ben)
phetish (Derek)
TheMcs (Greg) (had?)

Want:
Kittyj (Kimberly)

No thanks Derek, haven't had the greatest luck with SPS lately anyways. Plus, might find the frag when we rearrange setting up the other tank.

lifeenthusiast
07/22/2006, 01:17 AM
Have:
quaz (Ben)
phetish (Derek)
TheMcs (Greg) (had?)

Want:
Kittyj (Kimberly)
lifeenthusiast (Aaron Y)

jjmcat
12/03/2006, 11:21 PM
bump