PDA

View Full Version : Don and Becky's 200 gal Reef tank has landed

Finman
01/28/2002, 09:34 PM
You guys that didn't get in on the great oppurtunity to participate in the cross country epic of moving THE TANK missed out. Don and Becky are not only the proud parents of a new baby boy but now have #3 reef tank.

I tried to get some pictures of the great move but couldn't spare one arm to take the picture.

It took a convoy of four trucks from out by Lake Thunderbird to south OKC, but not a creature was lost ( except if you count the red eyed devil crab we feed to Don's mantis shrimp.):eek1:

We backed my Suburban up into Don's yard and shoved that sucker right through his bedroom window, nothing to it. (unless you count the next two weeks of physical therapy we have to go through)

Anyway it was a great time for all who participated, can't wait to see all the cool sps corals Don and Becky are going to have.

Don Davis
01/28/2002, 10:29 PM
Stan and Richard, Thank You so much for helping. We couldn't have done it without you. I promise to make it up to you guys one way or another. I bet you'll think twice before volunteering to move another glass tank that large. I obviously don't learn from my mistakes since I've now moved 3 220 gallon glass tanks.

Here are a couple of pics, remember that this tank was not taken care of very well and needs ALOT of work. I consider it a diamond in the rough. Either way, it was too good of a deal to pass up.

http://ww2.comasonline.org:8080/reefpics/donny/220.jpg

http://ww2.comasonline.org:8080/reefpics/donny/2201.jpg

Thanks again,

Don

DrkShadow
01/28/2002, 11:09 PM
Good pics Don. "The Beast" was a hoot to move but actually I thought it would have been a little worse. I guess with 5 guys, it made it a tad easier.

Your welcome Don & Becky. You sure have some nice things in your 125 :D Thanks for the hermits, they seem to be in algae heaven.

Anyone know where to find trochus snails? eTrop & Premium are BO'ed. Need some critters to eat the diatoms from my curing rock.

Lilgrasshopper
01/29/2002, 02:46 AM
Is that a Morish Idol in there? And where did you get all the rocks? What kind are they?

JasonF
01/29/2002, 08:13 AM
Anyone know where to find trochus snails? eTrop & Premium are BO'ed. Need some critters to eat the diatoms from my curing rock.

Aquariums in Edmond carries them on a regular basis. The Reef Shop is supposed to be getting some eventualy, but I don't know if they are in yet.

Don Davis
01/29/2002, 12:59 PM
Lilgrasshopper, that fish is a Heniochus (sp?) Also known as a Whimple fish or Poor Man's Morish Idol. He came with the tank, along with all the rocks. The tank was already setup, just like in the pictures, we just moved it to my house. There are probably over 300 pounds of liverock in the tank, some Fiji, some Marshall, some Tonga, some Garden, a little bit of everything really. I will be looking to get rid of a lot of the rock once I get the sump and skimmer setup. I plan to leave the aquascaping pretty open, so I won't use nearly all of the rock. I need to sort through everything that was included in the deal and get rid of some stuff. The plumbing and lighting were pieced together from who knows what, I need to totally redo the entire tank. It is going to take a lot of work for sure.

Don

Lilgrasshopper
01/30/2002, 01:18 AM
Don,
Isn't that Becky's dad's tank? I thought he was doing freshwater with the silver arowana? Anyways, must have been one heck of a deal but I bet you're not out of the woods yet. More work to be done. Let us know when you're parting some rocks. Might want to add some divirsity here or there. Keep us updated on your project.

Don Davis
01/30/2002, 09:38 AM
Tom, he still has another 220 with the Arowana in it. He is still looking for a home for the Arowana if you know anyone who would be interested.

I got the whole setup for about the cost of a new 220 tank alone. The $600 skimmer, stand, sump, lighting, 300# of rock, sand, and fish were all a bonus. He got out of saltwater all together so I also got all his additives, dosing system, a few pumps, and a bunch of other crap that I haven't had time to sort through yet. I'll post a list of the stuff I don't need in case someone could get some use out of it. Pretty good deal all-in-all.

It will be a long process to turn this tank around, but I think I can do it in a year or less. That's my goal anyway.

Does anyone have any acrylic rod they are not using? I need some to hold the aquascaping together.

Later,

Don

DrkShadow
02/01/2002, 02:24 PM
Kyle get all the fish from you Don? if not, what do you need to find a home besides the evil crab. :D

Don Davis
02/01/2002, 08:11 PM
Richard, I think the only things that need a home are the one-eyed rabbitfish, and the yellow tail damel. I wouldn't recommend either one for a reef tank.

I bought some acrylic rod today and hope to do some aquascaping this weekend. I will catch the fish if I do that. There is too much rock in there to try to catch fish right now.

You're taking the crab right?:D He has pretty much destroyed the mantis tank, but they are both alive and well.:confused:

Don

DrkShadow
02/02/2002, 09:55 AM
I'll call you this afternoon, I got run some errons so I might drop by and get him.

Kyle McClain
02/07/2002, 11:22 AM
Don are you going to break this bad boy down this weekend ?

Just want to be prepared to get the fish

Don Davis
02/08/2002, 11:16 AM
I'm going to try to get it broken down this weekend, but we have a lot going on. I will call you this evening and let you know what it's looking like.

Don

Kyle McClain
02/08/2002, 11:31 AM
Sounds good..

Don Davis
03/05/2002, 09:37 AM
Just posting an update on the 220. It now has Southdown sand and the aquascaping is complete. It has been filling with RO/DI for 4 days now and is almost full. Working on the sump and plumbing next, then the canopy and other woodwork. What the hell did I get myself into?:(

http://ww2.comasonline.org:8080/reefpics/donny/new220.jpg

Sorry for the crappy pic, but someone never returned my Nikon950, Richard. :D

Don

DrkShadow
03/05/2002, 10:23 AM
What no stoney corals in there yet? Geezeee :D

Looking good man!