PDA

View Full Version : silica sand

jchump5415
01/28/2002, 09:08 PM
Hey Randy,
I recently put a post on ask Dr. Ron about my sand. When I bought it they claimed it was all natural. Now a local fish shop owner tells me that the sand is silica sand. The guy that sells the sand claims that it is reef safe. How can I tell if it is silica sand? The bag just says marine sand. Dr. Ron says the silica sand is ok but I would like to know if it is or not. Thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/29/2002, 06:31 AM
Jen:

<< How can I tell if it is silica sand? >>

Often by color (it is often more golden than CaCO3) but certainly by dissolution in acid (vinegar or muriatic). If it dissolves, it isn't silica sand.

<< Dr. Ron says the silica sand is ok but I would like to know if it is or not. >>

There are many people that have sand beds made of silica sand and they seem to be fine. Silica sand from Home Depot is a source of soluble silicate (I've measured it myself), but that doesn't mean it is always (or ever) a problem (the potential problem being diatom growth). FWIW, I add soluble silicate as a supplement to my tank.

Consequently, my opinion is that I prefer CaCO3 sand beds for a variety of reasons, but if you can't get CaCO3 sand, or already have silica sand and don't want to buy more sand, that it will very likely be just fine.

jchump5415
01/30/2002, 01:06 PM
Thanks Randy! I put some of the sand in vinagar and it did not dissolve so I assume it is silica sand. I bought the bags of sand from a LFS so hopefully it is not soluble silicate. I surely am not going to be trashing all my 250 pound of sand that is in the tank. Thanks alot Randy!:fish1: