PDA

View Full Version : Went shopping this weekend.

GSerg2
05/23/2005, 10:49 AM
I made the rounds this weekend looking for a few new fish to put into quarantine while getting my new tank up and running. I just thought I would share my experience. I visited the following stores...

Corals and Reefs
Ultimate Reefs
Paws
Aquarium Oddballs
Love A Pet

By far the most friendly and knowledgable staff, as well as the best looking tanks and livestock, went to Corals and Reefs. They were a little short on fish but I suspect it is because of the heat. I think a lot of stores are holding off until it breaks a bit.

Second went to Love A Pet in BA. They usually seem to have the largest selection, IME, and it was true this time as well. Their tanks were clean and the fish looked healthy for the most part.

Both the C&R and Love A Pet staff knew how long the fish had been there and which ones were eating. One of the stores, I won't say which, didn't know how long the fish had been there or if they had been eating or it seemed much of anything about them but a price. That is always a disappointment.

Greg

TheMcs
05/23/2005, 11:53 AM
Wow, I haven't heard positive reviews of Love a Pet in a while. Everytime I go look in there it's like being in marine hospice.

Travis L. Stevens
05/23/2005, 12:20 PM
When I usually go in, they aren't too bad. The prices are what get's me and then it's really far outta my way on top of that.

GSerg2
05/23/2005, 12:48 PM
I bought two fish from Love A Pet. One was priced the same (within a dollar or two) of everyone else and the other was a several dollars higher but it appeared to be in great shape. It was very fat (obviously eating well) and very active. He said it had been in for about two weeks.

TheMcs
05/23/2005, 01:03 PM
You can't post a thread like this without at least saying/showing what you got...

GSerg2
05/23/2005, 01:23 PM
Ok, I got...

1 - blue tang (about 2-1/2" to 3")
1 - ocellaris clown
2 - pajama cardinals
1 - six line wrasse

I will try to snap a pic tonight.

TheMcs
05/23/2005, 05:41 PM
Cool, I've had good luck with a pair of pj cardinals breeding in the past. Never raised any, but it made good tank food.

GSerg2
05/31/2005, 01:54 PM
Here are some pics. Unfortunately, the Blue Tang has come down with what I believe to be ich. :(

I am going to start hypo on the Q tank tonight. Wish me luck...

http://home.tulsaconnect.com/gserg/Reef_Tank/New215Tank/Clown1.JPG

http://home.tulsaconnect.com/gserg/Reef_Tank/New215Tank/BlueTang1.JPG

http://home.tulsaconnect.com/gserg/Reef_Tank/New215Tank/Cardinal1.JPG

http://home.tulsaconnect.com/gserg/Reef_Tank/New215Tank/Sixline1.jpg

jaugat
06/01/2005, 09:47 PM
"By far the most friendly and knowledgable staff, as well as the best looking tanks and livestock, went to Corals and Reefs. They were a little short on fish but I suspect it is because of the heat. I think a lot of stores are holding off until it breaks a bit."

Holding off until the heat breaks a bit???? What are they not carrying fish until October??

Haven't heard that excuse before. I heard Taco Bell was holding off on buying tortillas until the Phoenix Suns won the NBA Championship!

If you want something specific and can wait, no one can beat Scott @ AO.

Did you pay extra for the tang that came with Ich or was that a buy one get 1,000+ free special they were having.

Try this approach next time:

Tell your favorate fish store that you will say good things about them if you put a "good word" post on reefcentral.com. Maybe you too can get a sick fish for a discount.

Good luck on hypo on your Q-tank. Been there, done that!

GSerg2
06/02/2005, 08:34 AM
Wow, how negative! You must really be great in sales. Just kidding. :)

I don't know if you remember that time period but is was very hot for this time of the year, in the mid 90's if I remember correctly. The excuse about holding off on orders was mine not theirs by the way. Just want to set that straight since I don't want to put words in their mouths. I have heard that during heat spikes pet stores will sometimes hold off ordering fish.

Also I hope no one really thought that I was giving some sort of plug to C&R for my benefit. I was merely relaying my experience their for the benefit of others in this group. Also, I never said whether the tang that has ich came from C&R. Even if it did, I bought fish from three stores that day. Any one of them could have been a carrier for it since none of them showed symptoms at the time of purchase. Thank goodness for quarantine.

I have done hypo before on a yellow tang with ich and had great success. It was cured and I still have it today some 5 years later. I expect this time to work as well. So far so good, I should reach 1.009 tomorrow. The tang seems to be doing well so far. It is still active and eating like a horse which helps get vitamins into him.

TheMcs
06/02/2005, 10:05 AM
I've had luck with hypo and supplementing with FW dip. Of course, that was on a clown.

Knyght
06/03/2005, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by jaugat
"By far the most friendly and knowledgable staff, as well as the best looking tanks and livestock, went to Corals and Reefs. They were a little short on fish but I suspect it is because of the heat. I think a lot of stores are holding off until it breaks a bit."

Holding off until the heat breaks a bit???? What are they not carrying fish until October?? WHAT?! No fish? hehe

Haven't heard that excuse before. I heard Taco Bell was holding off on buying tortillas until the Phoenix Suns won the NBA Championship! WHAT?!? No tortillas? (See my tag line)

If you want something specific and can wait, no one can beat Scott @ AO.

Did you pay extra for the tang that came with Ich or was that a buy one get 1,000+ free special they were having. :confused:

:beachbum: