PDA

View Full Version : T. Maxima HELP!

scoobayou
01/28/2002, 07:34 PM
I am Freaking out! I have had an Ultra Blue T. Maxima for about 2 to 3 years . Last week it jumped ship from the rock it was attached to for the past year and a half. This is the second time in 3 years he has done this. I put him back hping he would get comfy again only to find him slowly over the past few days failing. I then saw my coral shrimp nibbleing on his mantle one night, then a hermit crab. At this point my prize clam is looking quite ill, his mantle is no longer fully extented his intake siphon is kind of open and his exhaust sipon is open and not fully extended. I think this is the end of this beutiful clam I have re perched him high up in the tank where he is less likly to be disturbed. Is there any hope? Can a clam recover from this damaged mantle? If not do I leave it in the tank and risk polution?

jim norris
01/28/2002, 08:02 PM
Scoobayou,
Clams are tough! If something is is bothering the clam either it or the clam has to be moved! If this is done in TIME then the clam has a good chance of making it.
Jim

GH Sniper
01/29/2002, 08:27 AM
I've had this happen in may tank. The short answer was, the shrimp and crab are gone. I can find other ways to replace them however the clams are the focal point of the tank. You need to rid the tank ASAP and get the clam close to some light to start the recovery process. Don't be supprised that the clam will have some localized bleaching due to the retracted mantle. Patience, time and good water quality will make it recover.