PDA

View Full Version : whats swimming in my tank

jjmcat
05/22/2005, 11:26 PM
I may have made a bad mistake last nite. I got up in the middle of the night and turned on one of my 5 lights and saw a ton of little things in my tank, before i new it the fish went into a feeding frenzy. They kinda looked like brine shrimp. I have peppermint shrmp in my tank could that have bee it or could have my clowns mated? Any info would help. thank you

Daddeo
05/22/2005, 11:31 PM
Probably "skunk" shrimp or more commonly called amphipods. I have tons in my tank and sump.

jjmcat
05/22/2005, 11:36 PM
I dont think so there were hundreds and i have been using a blue led at night, but maybe you are right

Daddeo
05/22/2005, 11:45 PM
If you use a red light you will see a lot more than just them ;). I have a two led red head light I use and often stay up late watching the "night crawlers". If your clowns spawned then you would most certainly know it with their attitudes going from laid back to very protective/aggresive towards other tank mates. Could be their fry though but more than likely just the "little" shrimps.

keckles
05/22/2005, 11:56 PM
You can't tell your pods without a program...- By Dr. Ron Shimek (http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-08/rs/index.htm)
Amphipods- By Dr. Ron Shimek (http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rs/index.htm)

I agree with Daddeo, you are most likely seeing "pods".

:reading: :thumbsup:

Travis L. Stevens
05/23/2005, 08:51 AM
Do you feed Mysis (Mysid) Shrimp. Their eggs can occasionally survive the process and hatch in your tank.

keckles
05/23/2005, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Travis L. Stevens
Do you feed Mysis (Mysid) Shrimp. Their eggs can occasionally survive the process and hatch in your tank.

I believe the term "mysis/mysid" refers to a very early stage in the shrimp's life, and not a specific type of shrimp. The chance of the shrimp reproducing at that early of a stage in life, the eggs remaining intact through processing, surviving months of being frozen, then not only hatching, but surviving a tank full of predators to mature is very slim. And if that isn't enough there is the fact that most, if not all types, are freshwater species.

According to his description there are hundreds of little shrimp-like things crawling around his tank at night. The word "Amphipod" is slapping me in the face right now.

Travis L. Stevens
05/23/2005, 10:03 AM
Me too, but I thought that I would at least throw in the fact that I have seen baby shrimp even in my tank that I dont feed shrimp in. Just cyclopeeze (for now) Musta been a hitchhiker

keckles
05/23/2005, 10:06 AM
If you are not feeding mysis shrimp, how could you associate it as a possibility?

Travis L. Stevens
05/23/2005, 10:15 AM
Well, you just said it though that the term mysis is more appropriately used for the larval stages. the other places I have seen them had both adult shrimp and "mysis" shrimp being fed. I was under the assumption that mysis was a general species and they looked just like them. there for the adult shrimp were not releasing "babies" but something was surviving the processing process (that sounds redundant hehe). Or that is what I assume.

Never the less, I bet they are amphipods. Nothing to worry about.

GSerg2
05/23/2005, 10:25 AM
Could be your peppermint shrimp mating. I used to see my cleaners do this on a regular basis. After the lights went out, they would release their just hatch eggs into the tank. Hundreds of tiny shrimp everywhere.

etszoo
05/23/2005, 10:34 AM
Jumping this thread as I do research. Just discovered small shrimp
in my system. At first I thought they were baby cleaner or peps.
but the likelihood of them serviving after hatching are slim. So I
figure they came from someone else's chaeto that was given to me. BTW definitely not pods both species have taken up residence
in my sponges.
Eric

keckles
05/23/2005, 10:41 AM
I was under the impression that he had only 1 peppermint. But this would explain why his fish went into a feeding frenzy.

etszoo
05/23/2005, 10:41 AM
Sounds like the initial event of this thread was the hatching of
peppermint shrimp. When they turned the lights on the babies
would have gravitated towards it.

oddballs
05/23/2005, 10:59 AM
could be a million diffrent things maybe it was a yeah i thinkit was one of those???????????j-rod ill bet your fish and corals enjoyed there snacks.

keckles
05/23/2005, 11:04 AM
They may very possibly be newly hatched peppermint, but...

If the shrimp had just been released and open for the fish to "go into a feeding frenzy" than the shrimp would most likely be free floating in the water column of the tank. The strength of the baby shrimp and its swimmerets vs. the strength of the water flow in the tank would be an easy victory for the water flow. The size of the shrimp and strength of its exoskeleton would also make it very vulnerable. The shrimp would naturally seek protection in dark/ dense areas in the rock to avoid certain predation. Its "gravitation towards the light" would be forced, not chosen.

Also, I wouldn't try to identify microfauna based on their choice of protecting habitat. "Pods" will seek protection in any area that offers it; their choice to move into your sponge is not any indication of their identity.

I agree Scott ;)

etszoo
05/23/2005, 11:38 AM
Agee with the water flow statement. However, it has been my
experience that when moonlights (in my case) are truned on,
the small shrimp have headed toward the surface (into the water
column in this case).
I am in the process of some research on what is living in the sponges. Definitely pods (cops/amphs) the shrimp are relatively
new. I will try to get a macro shot.

etszoo
05/23/2005, 11:58 AM
After a little reading the terms I am using are a bit vague. Will try
to research proper names as well.

jjmcat
05/23/2005, 11:16 PM
I dont think they were hitchikers because i havnt purchased any liverock in a long time i make my own. Ive only purchased small small frags so who knows.I dont see them anymore but ill look tonight. As for sponges i have a bunch of purple, it feels like moist bread so i think it is anyway. It may be just one of those unanswerd things unless a new breed of pods evolved in my tank,and im taking orders.$$$$$$
thanks everyone for the info