PDA

View Full Version : epaulette shark

Derek Skillings
01/28/2002, 02:00 PM
i work in a local pet shop an we acquired an epaulette shark 3 months ago, and it has not eaten on its own yet. with the help of a local vet i have been anethticising (spelling ?) once a week and tube feeding it. it spits out any food that is placed in its mouth including live shrimp. i keep live glass shrimp in with it at almost all times, but it does not seem to be eating on its own at all. any ideas or tricks on how to get him eating. i hate to be tube feeding him as it is so hard on him

billsreef
01/28/2002, 10:44 PM
Try mussels and clams on the half shell. Also squid tends to be irresistable.

Mr Nasty
02/01/2002, 10:13 AM
Billsreef is right, mussels clams and squid are a sharks favorite.
if possible get them from grocery store.
Also it has been my experience with keeping sharks that if you keep Iodine supplement in the water they will do alot better.

Derek Skillings
02/02/2002, 01:09 AM
thanks for the tips,
he has started eating squid, i have to help him with it though. he barely has the strength to swallow and after he eats he lays on his back for about 45 minutes like he is dead. but he seems slightly more active (as in moving somewhat instead of not at all) hopefully he will come along

msjn771
02/16/2002, 10:33 AM
How did the shark turn out?

Derek Skillings
02/17/2002, 11:07 PM
he is doing great,
he has started eating frozen krill. although he doesn't activily search out food he will go after it if it is placed in front of him. he moves around some now instead of not at all. i am very confident that he will make it through, now i just have to convince my fiance to let me have him because he is now my baby.

thanks for all the tips