PDA

View Full Version : Thorite Cement

DKKA
01/28/2002, 01:55 AM
Hi Randy,

I posted this in the general forum but didn't much response.
Are you familiar with Thorite Cement? There was an article about it in Seascope a while back http://www.einfo-net.com/fish/experts/article01.htmlk where they used it for bonding rocks together.

I'm wondering if this could be used instead of portland cement to make arragocrete stuctures and plugs without the hassle/time involve with curing them in freshwater.
I found this website http://www.chemrex.com/thoro/ASsets_tho/pdf/tgp_msd.pdf which lists the componets as
Silica, Quartz 55%
Calcium Carbonate 5%
Portland Cement 25%
Calcium Aluminate 20%
Calcium Sulfate 5%

Whaddya think?
Thanks,
Dan

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/28/2002, 07:09 AM
Dan:

<< without the hassle/time involve with curing them in freshwater. >>

Do you know that to be the case? There are two different things that people are calling curing here. One is the hardening of the cement, and the other is the release of base to the tank water. The second may not have been speeded up in this formulation.

Other than the polymer (which won't be a problem) it sounds similar to a fast curing Portland Cement. You might get an increase in dissolved alumina, but I wouldn't expect it to be any worse than other users of Portland Cement.

DKKA
01/28/2002, 09:35 AM
Randy,
My question is more about the release of base, and the effect on PH than about the hardening.
My understanding from the SeaScope article, and from one of the users here on RC who has used the stuff is that they didn't cure it in freshwater. But they also used only small amounts to glue liverock together.
Guess I'll have to try some and put it in a tub of water and see what the PH does. It's not much more expensive than Portland and it would be nice not have to mess with a long curing process.
thanks again,
Dan

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/28/2002, 08:12 PM
DAn:

My guess is that the base release will be similar to other cements, but there's no reason to not try it. Good luck!