PDA

View Full Version : Donor Thread Layout

Travis L. Stevens
05/18/2005, 02:40 PM
This has been the layout that I have been using it should really help keep it all organized.

-------------------------------------------

----For those starting a new donor coral thread----

Looks - explain what it looks like, give a scientific name and any common names you know it by, who it originated from (you can be the originator), give its color, if its an sps, lps, soft coral, etc, how big the frag is, its general shape, etc, etc, etc

Husbandry - what type of husbandry are you using, where is it in your tank, what does it eat, do you feed it, how long have you had it, growth rate for you, water parameters, how you frag it (which I left out on the Pavona and Xenia threads), etc

The Contract - You know, the rules that apply. Taylor all the information to meet the contract for the coral.

Obtaining - How can they obtain, how do they get on the waiting list, when, where, etc.

Please include a picture in the first post, but if you do not have access to do that, post one ASAP.

*You can make this easy by just copy and pasting from an existing Donor thread and altering the layout to fit the coral.

----For those that are not the thread starter----

For those posting on the Want list, please include RC screenname, first name, and affiliation

For those posting that they received a frag, please post under the Have list and include RC screenname, first name, affiliation, date you received the frag

For those posting that they have fragged off their coral to complete the program please post an update under the Have list and include RC screenname, first name, affiliation, date you received your frag, date you fragged your coral to complete the program.

If you have received a frag and it dies under your conditions, it must be discussed at the next meeting. If the conditions were NOT properly met, you may put your name on the bottom of the want list if you would like to try again. If you met all the conditions and it still died and would like to try again, with the permission of the majority of OMAS members, you may put your name on the top of the Want list.

If at any time you do not meet requirements, quit the hobby, decide you do not want a frag, etc, please remove your name off the list.

If you decide to give your frag to someone else, please post by your name who you gave it to.

----Rule of thumb-----

Try not to carry a major conversation on the thread. But discussion is allowed.

---------------------------------------

I hope this helps set everything up and keeps it organized. Don't forget this isn't for just corals, but anything that can be aquacultured. Seahorses, algae, invertabrates, fish, zooplankton, phytoplankton, dry goods, books, etc. It might be easier to stick to living things though.

TheMcs
05/18/2005, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Travis L. Stevens
This has been the layout that I have been using it should really help keep it all organized.

I thought we were going to follow the COMAS format...

-------------------------------------------

----For those starting a new donor coral thread----

Looks - explain what it looks like, give a scientific name and any common names you know it by, who it originated from (you can be the originator), give its color, if its an sps, lps, soft coral, etc, how big the frag is, its general shape, etc, etc, etc

Husbandry - what type of husbandry are you using, where is it in your tank, what does it eat, do you feed it, how long have you had it, growth rate for you, water parameters, how you frag it (which I left out on the Pavona and Xenia threads), etc

Sounds like a good idea.

The Contract - You know, the rules that apply. Taylor all the information to meet the contract for the coral.

Obtaining - How can they obtain, how do they get on the waiting list, when, where, etc.

Won't this be redundant? It should be the same for each donation.

Please include a picture in the first post, but if you do not have access to do that, post one ASAP.

That would make things easier.

*You can make this easy by just copy and pasting from an existing Donor thread and altering the layout to fit the coral.

----For those that are not the thread starter----

For those posting on the Want list, please include RC screenname, first name, and affiliation

Seeing that this an OMAS program, I'm thinking it will be limited to OMAS members, and therefore affiliation will become redundant.

For those posting that they received a frag, please post under the Have list and include RC screenname, first name, affiliation, date you received the frag

For those posting that they have fragged off their coral to complete the program please post an update under the Have list and include RC screenname, first name, affiliation, date you received your frag, date you fragged your coral to complete the program.

If you have received a frag and it dies under your conditions, it must be discussed at the next meeting. If the conditions were NOT properly met, you may put your name on the bottom of the want list if you would like to try again. If you met all the conditions and it still died and would like to try again, with the permission of the majority of OMAS members, you may put your name on the top of the Want list.

If at any time you do not meet requirements, quit the hobby, decide you do not want a frag, etc, please remove your name off the list.

If you decide to give your frag to someone else, please post by your name who you gave it to.

----Rule of thumb-----

Try not to carry a major conversation on the thread. But discussion is allowed.

---------------------------------------

I hope this helps set everything up and keeps it organized. Don't forget this isn't for just corals, but anything that can be aquacultured. Seahorses, algae, invertabrates, fish, zooplankton, phytoplankton, dry goods, books, etc. It might be easier to stick to living things though.

Just a thought here, but where is all this coming from? I didn't know the donor program was going to be a TLS dictatorship. From the conversation I was listening to last night, we were going to follow COMAS's format.
Your zeal for getting this going is applaudable, but slow down a bit. COMAS seems to have a working system, why mess with it? Granted I've only been in OMAS for 5 months, but most organizations either vote or agree on by-laws/rules/guidelines. I would say that if there is anyone who could come on here and set the rules up, it would be Eric, the prez.

keckles
05/18/2005, 04:06 PM

Somebody figured out how to aquaculture drygoods? I need to meet this person. I would love some new lights, or a new skimmer:inlove: ;)

Travis L. Stevens
05/18/2005, 04:10 PM
I thought we were going to follow the COMAS format...

It basically is the COMAS format

Sounds like a good idea.

Me too :D

Won't this be redundant? It should be the same for each donation.

It pretty much is the same for each one, but each coral is different, so we might want to revise it just a little for each coral.

That would make things easier.

Yup

Seeing that this an OMAS program, I'm thinking it will be limited to OMAS members, and therefore affiliation will become redundant.

Ya, I guess so. I was just thinking that I know some people from COMAS are wanting to help out OMAS, and I know that I want to help COMAS as well. I guess that just was a way of who belonged to who

Just a thought here, but where is all this coming from? I didn't know the donor program was going to be a TLS dictatorship. From the conversation I was listening to last night, we were going to follow COMAS's format.
Your zeal for getting this going is applaudable, but slow down a bit. COMAS seems to have a working system, why mess with it? Granted I've only been in OMAS for 5 months, but most organizations either vote or agree on by-laws/rules/guidelines. I would say that if there is anyone who could come on here and set the rules up, it would be Eric, the prez.

keckles
05/18/2005, 04:11 PM

Travis L. Stevens
05/18/2005, 04:14 PM
See http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=356098 for the rules

See http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=482153 for an example existing thread

I didn't think that this was too far from the ordinary and previously established routine, or I wouldn't have posted it. This is all still up for revision of course and final say will always be Eric. I posted my 2 donor threads because I dont want to lose the information. I have a notorious habit of doing that.

TheMcs
05/18/2005, 04:14 PM
Here's the entirety of COMAS's donor program guidelines;

the DONOR program.

The idea of the donor program is to generate a pool of coral fragments that are available to all COMAS members, whether they are long standing members or new people joining us for the first time. The program works by having one of our members being able to fragment a coral they currently have in their tank. They pass fragments onto anyone that wants them, in the order they are signed up for. These people are called the sponsors. Each sponsor receiving a fragment agrees to pass a new fragment of that coral along, once it has doubled in size. At that time they pass it along to the next person on the list for that coral. At the time of making the frags they post a new thread on the forum. The next sponsor agrees to do the same..etc.

The thread should start with the word DONOR. For example, if I have strawberry zooznthids that I can frag, the title would be "DONOR Strawberry Zooanthids" . Below is an example of the thread contents, feel free to copy this and change the details to suit your frag....

Heres the program details.

Someone offers to donate frags of a coral. It doesn't matter if it is one, two or a dozen frags. They post the name of the frags in the COMAS forum. The thread should read

"DONOR: (insert frag name-Strawberry zooanthids)"

that way we can find all the frag threads and keep things tidy on the site.

When they are offered.........describe what they are, how you grow them, your conditions etc.... Also, put down the information on passing the next frag on.

A person receiving them is called the sponsor. The sponsor promises to try and grow the frags up till they are fraggable again. Once they are they should offer the new frags on the same thread as that originally used. By that time there may be new names on the list of people waiting. If there are...find the next name and contact them to let them know you have a frag for them. If there are no new names, just put your name down as having a frag if someone wants it.

The next person follows the same rules....

I use the following format...and feel free to copy this if you want to be a donor....

----------------------------------------------------------------------
I will have 5 strawberry zooanthid polyp colonies.

Each will be small, but will grow under VHO or MH lights.
Each is free to a member of the club providing that.....

They provide the correct environ for it to grow.

They are at the next meeting to receive a colony

They describe how it grows for them under their conditions, and what those conditions are.

They promise that once they are twice the size they are now, they will donate a colony the approximate size of the original donor colony.

If you wish to be a sponsor....reply to this list. The first five will get a colony. The next people on the list will receive frags from the sponsors when the colony has doubled.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

To make things easier to find who wants to be a sponsor and who is next on the list we will set up a section of the COMAS website to deal with each donor coral. Please use that as a guide for who is next on the list.

keckles
05/18/2005, 04:20 PM

-What if the coral was previously in bad condition?
- Who and what decides if the conditions were wrong?
- Instead of discussing the conditions of the tank after the coral has died, why not discuss it before and save the coral before it is killed?

Travis L. Stevens
05/18/2005, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by keckles
-What if the coral was previously in bad condition?
- Who and what decides if the conditions were wrong?
- Instead of discussing the conditions of the tank after the coral has died, why not discuss it before and save the coral before it is killed to make sure the coral is going to a good home?

Will the same rules apply as they do in COMAS towards spreading the coral? (Ex: coral must be put back into donor program once it has doubled in size.)

1 We would be able to note this at the meeting if it was given there. Everyone will be able to see it, so thats not a HUGE problem, but one that is to be considered.
2 I would think the group as a whole with final wording as Eric
3 That can be done. Ive noticed that COMAS doesnt really do that. Doesnt mean it's bad. Most people that sign up on a want list can provide those conditions, but a discussion would be a better idea
4 I was under the impression it was. My understanding is from a single person point of view is They get a frag, grow it to double, frag back an original size to the next person and they are technically done and have completed the program, but are more than willing and encouraged to keep fragging as it grows (like we have to worry about someone only wanting to frag a xenia or green star polyps once, hehe)

TheMcs
05/18/2005, 04:31 PM
This is a very simple program that is being made very complicated.
-Someone has a coral frag to donate
-they start a thread with the appropriate info
-frag(s) is donated to people that reply to the thread in the order received.
-once the donated frag has doubled in size, it is fragged in half and donated to the next person on the list
-so on and so on

Travis L. Stevens
05/18/2005, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by TheMcs
This is a very simple program that is being made very complicated.
-Someone has a coral frag to donate
-they start a thread with the appropriate info
-frag(s) is donated to people that reply to the thread in the order received.
-once the donated frag has doubled in size, it is fragged in half and donated to the next person on the list
-so on and so on

I guess I don't see what the problem is. That's exactly how I perceive it. This was just an attempt to keep things organized and provide the next person in line the most information as possible and get it up and moving. That way they know what to do with it and they know ahead of time how to take care of it. I know a lot of people were eagerly wanting to participate in this and have stuff ready to frag out.

It was only a rough draft and meant to be discussed. I was taking what COMAS has adopted as a working starter post on a donor thread, and adding a little more information to it. I re-read the beginning post and realized, yes it sounds like I meant it as in set in stone, but I didn't. I just wanted opinions and ideas.

I was hoping someone could keep track of all the donor threads for OMAS with current up to date information so we can use the data to arrive at ballpark conclusions such as rate of growth, possible waitingperiod for the next person in line, so on and so forth. Maybe even keep a flow chart. It was just all ideas. If no one wants to, I will for my own knowledge.

If you think this is too much of a hurry, etc then I will sit back and let everyone else do it. I was just putting the ball into play. Maybe if we get different layouts we can vote on one at the next meeting. Having a layout would make things look more professional, keep it clean and to the point. Just look at the beginning posts of all the Donor Threads on this page. Until they adopted a basic layout is was rather hectic. People PM to be put on a list, etc. It was just sloppy. Just look at some of the threads http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=548960 Some good, some bad, some so-so

This is one thread that got cleaned up but you can see was kinda messy
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=298037 and this one http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=365062

This is a good one with a layout
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=582473

I compared the two and assumed a layout would be a good idea or we would wind up in the same situation as COMAS first did. Sloppy, hard to track threads.

oddballs
05/19/2005, 11:46 AM
is this the sps thread i think im lost!!

naterd1976
05/19/2005, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by oddballs
is this the sps thread i think im lost!!

Me Too!!

My simple take on the donor program:

coral gets fragged

coral frags get donated

reciepients of coral frags must grow coral frag to best of their ability

recipient then refrags frag when frag is double the size of when recieved (lol)

That refrag is then given to the next person on list to recieve frag

once oniginal frag has been refragged, that person has met the obligations of the program and can do whatever they wish with the coral.

...and repeat.

does this sound like a "BARNEY STYLE" version of the program?

nate

jaugat
05/21/2005, 11:04 PM
somebody has too much time on their hands!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thumper1
05/22/2005, 09:55 AM
From what me and Eric talked about Tuesday night we were going to keep it as simple as possible. Have to be a OMAS member and folow the basic guide lines. I guess time will tell.

quaz
05/22/2005, 10:54 PM
is the list set up on omas website?

will there be a seperate list for each type of coral or just one long list for each coral that comes around?

I'm down with donating and sponsering, guess I need to join omas

quaz
05/22/2005, 11:00 PM
I've got some really pretty flourescent green hydnophora that up till now has been grow in low calcium and low flow water and is very brittle. after a few rock tumbles I unfortunately broke a couple of nice medium sized pieces into several small pieces. the stuff is unbeatable. I still have pieces lying on the sand toward the back and sides of the tank and it's growing and glowing just as bright as ever.