PDA

View Full Version : In-Sein meet #2

wahwoo
05/17/2005, 10:18 PM
Who wants to try again!!!?
OK - It took a while but I just got a response from Pete. We will talk tomorrow to plan more detail then announce it.

Ive been getting good feed back from other Floridians who harvest locally. They gave me some tips that I think will make a more productive effort. Heres one quote:

"...we just took a cooler and a 8" fishnet and went to town, you can scoop the sand and sift it with the net to get all types of stuff from the sandbed, most of the stuff was hand collected.... i even had a purple indiglo urchin i had collected from there try to spawn in my tank which was cool.. i think there are still pics of that in my gallery.."

"me and my friend always did our collections in the evening at low tide. if you follow Lido all the way down close to the end of the street there is a park with bathrooms and such. (is this where you collected with the club?)when you pass through the gate take the parking lot to the right and park there by the access, and walk straight out to the beach, there are signs for no swimming here. we would start here and work our way around the peninsula to the left. Low tide would leave nice sized lagoons here where critters of all sorts, including gorgonians, sponge, fish and nice purple urchins would be stuck. at the top edge of the peninsula there used to be a shelf(may not still be there) where the water was a little shallower if you walked out a bit. on the far side of the shelf i found many a sand sifting starfish. i used to collect these for feeding my harlequinShrimp. the rest of the way around the penn was pretty inconsistent but usually gave up a tube worm or something new and interesting to look at anyway. if you have much free time, take a few beers and sit with the guys fishing on the bath house side, they will sometimes catch stuff they don't know what it is, or can't be cooked and may be of interest to you... take the wife and kids and make a day out of it if you like.

happy hunting"

This thread has more advice in it:
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=593281

Well theres the pitch. Now, how many reefers can we get running aroung chasing fish together? Im going whether the crowd is 2 or 20!
Lets hear who is up to going on a Second Sein and Collecton side-meet....

AquAsylum
05/18/2005, 10:11 AM
I'm up for it- as long as it's LOW TIDE!!!

Agu
05/18/2005, 01:00 PM
Dace,

You can pick up the sein net when you get the chaeto........ do you still have my # ?

I'm interested but lately I can't plan more than a day or two in advance.

Agu