PDA

View Full Version : Club issues

STACKER
05/16/2005, 06:59 AM
We need to call a meeting to discuss the direction and future of this club. It seems to me that there is alot of discussion of topics amongst small groups of interested members and non-members but little to no official action taken. We need people to show up and talk about topisc related to theis club so they can be debated and voted on. this si the only way to move forward without stepping on toes. We can't do any of this without enthusiastic participation.

Please post your thoughts rather than simply reading an moving on. If we don't get any feedback simply decisions will have to be made without review or debate. Participation is key here and if we don't start getting more we may as well just scrap this whole thing now before we waste time making the entity official.

Thoughts? Comments? Anyone....

lori7973
05/16/2005, 07:41 AM
We would be more than happy to be able to discuss things. Unfortunately we have not been able to attend the last two meetings. When did you want to do this, soon? An emergency meeting can be called, any day but Sat would be good for me this week.

Jamesvcanfield
05/16/2005, 07:48 AM
Let me know when, I will plan accordingly. Sat. is also bad for me. Jamie. I second the motion that this meeting is necessary and applaud Stacker for pushing it along. We had 6 people at the Steven Pro meeting. Pitiful.

STACKER
05/16/2005, 08:09 AM
Well, I'm hoping to hear from enough people so we can actually have a meeting to get officers installed and keep this thing alive. If not we're gonna have to just crash house after house eating their snacks and drinking their booze! Either way we gotta keep this snowball rolling. Most any evening is good for me, Sat or Sun. afternoon may or may not. I have a 10 lb. in a 5 lb. bag going on but I'll do whatever is necessary to keep pushing this club forward.

Bullredchaser
05/16/2005, 08:35 AM
You need to set up a commitee that gets elected every year designed to make decisions for the club.I would eliminate drinking from the meetings or you wont grow as you want to get the families to come. And I would find a public space like a library or school to meet in.Once your organized you can get local stores to donate or sell you at cost fish and corals for raffles and auctions to raise money for things like speakers,field trips,picnics and so on.Once you have found a place you may want to stick with it than put signs up at your LFS inviting everyone .Getting a web site will help to but you got to have money coming in to pay for it and the web master unless you have someone that will volunteer there time as a web master.You would still have to pay for the site band width.Hope this helps.

Jamesvcanfield
05/16/2005, 09:59 AM
Nice thoughts Bull, do you speak from experience? I agree with 99% of your comments and I think it is what we are striving for. Jamie.:)

STACKER
05/16/2005, 10:56 AM
Bullred, Thx for your input. We've already initiated exactly what you speak of. I've built a site and posted it thru my server which will be fine until such time as we need more. The drinking I speak of is based at folks homes wher ewe will eventually do some tank tours/parties. I have no issues with memebrs having a beer or glass of wine in moderation. A section of our soon to be adopted code of conduct will have language addressing personal conduct at meetings and while representing the club in public or club sponsored events. I guess that I feel that foul language is as damaging to kids as alcohol consumption so what we'll do is stress moderation and intervene if necessary.

Rather than haveing a nominating committee we decided to hold a general open nomination via a sighup sheet, followed by nominees accepotance or refusal and followed up with a balloted vote.

We're new but considerable thought and experience with clubs is already a reality.

Any insight into the official workings of other salt water clubs is greatly appreciated and greedily consumed.

Bullredchaser
05/16/2005, 01:08 PM
Im on the committee for FMAS and this is how the club has been doing it for 49 years. My biggest advice would be to stay consistent and remember it's a numbers game.An average of 30-35% of members will show up all the time.So if you have a hundred members about 35 will show up and if you have 200 then about 70 to 90.If you have a special speaker that number should double. Also the commitee should meet once a month about a week before the meeting to discuss and wrap up any issues so your not scrambling the day of the meeting.Im also in a fishing club and the meetings are always on the middle of the week and field trips are done on weekends.Most people dont want to give up there weekends so overall you will have a better turn out on a week night.You will still have some early bird sleepers that will complain but you want to remember your only trying to make the majority happy.Lose the 10% and keep the 90%.

STACKER
05/16/2005, 02:20 PM
Same here, I'm in 2 other clubs (one is a hunting club) and left the BOD's from all so I had more time for me stuff. AS with almost all org's 90% of the work is done by 10% of the membership if you're lucky. Exec's meet the week prior as you stated to decide the meeting direction and outline and to preside on issues not meant for the general body. We'll really have no need for these unless we need to intervene or wrap-up old business. Our numbers are few overall and all but nil actively participating but they will change when we get better organized.

I'll be in touch with you regarding some of the finer points if that's OK. I'm good at picking brains and gleaning info., I just don't always use the best parts :)

ONAGI
05/16/2005, 05:01 PM
Bullredchaser,
This is exactly the direction I was trying to take the club. You are exactly correct on each point you have submitted.

Allow me to provide some my insight for all with this topic from my involvement in trying to help with the club.

There is less than 10% doing 100+% of the work. Plans are made and drafted to be approved by the general body of membership. It then becomes stalled because of debating and lack of consensus.

The biggest issue here is that the club is trying to be created by use of participative leadership. It WON'T work. In this particular situation a autocratic leadership or situational leadership style MUST be employed. Excuse my caps but these are the points I think must have the emphasis placed on them.

The portion of the club that needs done now is policy and procedure so it can successfully recruit people, remain in operation and at minimum be able to be able to produce what it offers its members for the entire year it intends to collect for. The club must also put in safeguards to protect itself and its members from potential liability that is assessed from proper analysis of effective risk management. This requires structure to obtain predictability.

Think of work, policies and procedures are made for the good of the organization to meet its mission, minimize liability, and direct its resources to be used best. This doesn't always benefit everyone. You may have some say in the process and procedure but it is ultimately decided upon by a small majority of people. It's how development will progress in all realms of organizational development. Like it or not we experience everyday, in every facet of life personal and professional.

I think that in order to move forward that the club has to elect its officers. There needs to be a governing body to complete the remaining tasks and be accountable to the membership. Once this is done then the leadership method can be addressed. Roles and responsibilities can be assigned and timelines given to those individuals. The whole governing body reviews the task and proposal then requests revision or approves it. It is then reviewed with the members and put into practice.

I hope this helps with the next step that I think this club needs to make. I don't think that electing officers is something that can be put off any longer. If delayed more there will not be any progress due to lack of organization and accountability.

Hope this helps.
Omar

STACKER
05/17/2005, 06:47 AM
Tough to do with one accepted nomination, enthusiastic interest from 3 or 4 memebrs, and next to nil participation otherwise. Not to beat a dead horse but this should have happened in Feb. or March. I was not included at that time so the push from my size 11 may have been a bit late. This summer mindset won't help much either. Steven Pro was telling us that many clubs lay-off for the summer months and reconvene in Aug. or Sept due to stagnant participation.

I'm thinking we need to call another meeting SOON and beg for everyone to do everything they can to get there. Hold an election and get the foundation laid. So far there's been alot of talk, good ideas, debate, then nothing! I guess this will all be up to me because noone else seems to really want to be involved. and I'm growing very tired of carrying the show!

Bullredchaser
05/17/2005, 09:09 AM
Onagi I agree,the people elect the leadership.The leadership then debates and motions a new procedure.That is where the vote takes place.And you cant get your feelings hurt if your idea is voted against because you will have a 100 other ideas to deal with after that.Think of yourself as a Politician once your voted by the people,the only debates you have are with your peers.You win half you lose half but thats the way laws are made. Stacker I would get the ball rolling with elections and if only 10 people show up so be it .Do your elections with only 10 people and move forward.If you build it they will come.Also when the commitee does have meetings do it over dinner.Either take turns going to each other homes cooking,pitch in for pizza,or pot luck it.Everyone eats dinner and you can knock to birds with one stone.You would be surprised how well a team is formed when people are breaking bread with each other.Eat,have great conversation,then get down to business.You should also have have small jobs that certain commitee members are in charge of because people do want to help but may be intimadated by not knowing what to do or maybe they are terrified of speaking in front of groups.The first group of leaders will actually be mentors for the next group.

STACKER
05/17/2005, 10:32 AM
Elections thus far will be more like appointments. I only know of interest in one postion. Myself, I'm well prepared for all of the issues. I've seen them all in one form or another in other clubs, I guess that's why I seem to be very pushy regarding this most important step. I'm not pointing fingers, fixing blame, or finding fault. I'm simply MAKING things move forward. If noone follows I suppose I'll do it all myself until others realize their value and how important their energy and input is to this.

Bullredchaser
05/17/2005, 10:43 AM
Good luck guys,Im sure all will pan out good.IM me anytime if you have questions or ideas,I'll be glad to help.

STACKER
05/17/2005, 11:44 AM
Thanks again for your input, it's always good to hear other opinions. I prefer it to silence any day!

ONAGI
05/17/2005, 12:23 PM
I agree with the posts so far. Need to install officers regardless of voter turnout. It doesn't stop the elections for public office if there is only 20% of the voter turnout. It's the price paid for not exercising your rights.

I've been there Stacker. It's tough to bear all the work. There just too much for one person. Not a lot if it's divided up. The thing that got me the most was putting up ideas to have to debate them with everyone. It stlled the whole process.

let me know what you need. I'll try ot help out as much as possible. It might be good to elect officers, suspend meetings until fall and have the officers form the club in the meantime. Then in the fall roll it all out done and actively recruit and host member benefit meetings solely.

Omar

STACKER
05/18/2005, 05:52 AM
Yup, and all we need it nominations, acceptance, and more than one voter. Tall order!

I'm not really biotchin' about the work, just that after sominitial enthusiasm and participation there seems to be zero activity that I don't directly stimulate. It's as if I'm screaming at a wall in an empty room. I bet la cukkaracha befome skittering about when benefits are to be had tho!

otrl021
05/18/2005, 11:11 PM
Hey it's Jayne. I guess I caught my death of cold running in the rain Sat. after the meeting, cause Ive been sick ever since. So, Ive just finished reading through the thread, and I guess i fall in the intimidated category. I have read lots of pointing fingers, complaining, etc. and I have to say Im hesitant to speak, cause I feel Im opening myself to the same. My 2 cents worth says, plan a meeting, schedule when the most can come, and do it. I'll bring food! and any night but Thur.

STACKER
05/19/2005, 06:00 AM
Don't feel intimidated Jayne, typically there are always folks who talk rather than act, ones who start things and walk away, Those who pick up pieces and run, those who disagree just to disagree, and those who do absolutely nothing until they are forced to. We need help, we need support, and we need active enthusiasm. I'm doing this because I think it's a good idea, I'm also doing what I'm doing because I saw complete failure one step away last month.

Thanks for offering to help Jayne, I'll definately take you up on it.