PDA

View Full Version : need info on breeder's net

rsaund
01/26/2002, 02:20 PM
Hello,

My bengaii pair spawned and I have a male with a mouthful. Just noticed about 4 days ago. I have them in a 125 gal reef. I would like to try to raise the fry, but don't want to set up a 10 gal. I have read the articles and a 'breeders' net is mentioned. What is it, where do I get it (preferably online source) and how big is it? Any other advice for raising them in the 125 gal? Thanks in advance.

robin

Guy
01/26/2002, 11:24 PM
You should be able to find a breeder net at Walmary or just about any fish store for $5.00 or $6.00. They are usually about 4" X 8".

rsaund
01/27/2002, 08:17 AM
thank you Guy,

My husband said he could make me one too, out of 1/2" PVC he has hanging around. I think I will try that, and make it a bit bigger, maybe 12x6...

Thanks again

Robin

FMarini
01/27/2002, 10:40 PM
Robin:

Guys hit on one place that sells these nets, and honestly any LFS, petco, or petsmart will sell these little screen covered plastic boxes. Cost between $3 and 5 bux

W/ that said, have you had a chance to read any of the other articles about breeding these fish????

Also allow me to point out that the spelling of this fish is actually

banggai cardinal

named after the island where their found. I tell you this so you can conduct a proper search on the net.

Read these articles and you'll see that you don't necessarily need a breeders net.
http://www.eparc.com/banggai/banggai.html

frank
PS Thanks Guy

rsaund
01/28/2002, 09:22 AM
Hi Frank,

This is the second of my posts you have replied to using 3 or more question marks. I am starting to feel unwelcome here.

Yes I do read the articles and threads before posting. I am sorry my questions are not worthy.

Please don't flame me, I feel bad enough already.

Robin

FMarini
01/28/2002, 11:41 AM
Robin:
Please DO NOT feel unwelcome here. Your questions are worthy, and I'm happy to address them.
I use three question marks instead of 1 question mark. My fault and i apologize for it, its just a bad habit.

W/ that said. I'm glad you had a chance to read thru the articles. When i wrote these they were current (back in 1996 and 97), as you can see from the articles, that concepts and ideas change. Meaning you do not have to be wed to the idea of using a breeders net, nor a 10gal grow out tank. Some people use refugiums or sumps or whatever they have that holds water. Second thing is that anything goes as long as you get the desired end result. You do not have to remove the male, just allow him to release the fry into the main tank. Many people report doing this. usually one fry will make it to adult hood.
I also apologize to you about correcting your spelling of this fish as well., however if you were to use bengaii (a common mispelling) in a search engine you would miss a bunch of important articles.

I see your a VP at a company, and I will assume you research your work very seriously, I suspect you also do the same thing here. I say this because the pictures in the breeders registry article show 10 day old fry and a 3month old banggi cardinal in a breders net (that why I referred to the articles again). I'm just trying to get you the information ASAP.

Please do feel free to email me, I enjoy answering these question, but as I try to tell everyone please search the archives here and at reef.org first as you can often get the info w/in minutes, instead of waiting for one of us to respond.
I'm sorry if you felt I slighted you
frank

rsaund
01/28/2002, 12:09 PM
Hi Frank,

No harm done. I truly did look at the articles and browse the previous threads, however, you can tell I didn't read every word.

Quick reading/skimming invariably lead to asking a less intelligent question than would have resulted with more thorough research.

The spelling correction was not offensive at all - I appreciated it. Maybe I read some impatience into your tone that was not intended. Thanks for the info.

Robin

Guy
01/29/2002, 08:36 PM
Hi Robin,

I have read through many of Dr. Marini's responses and I can assure you he doesn't get short with anybody that I've noticed. It's a little disconcerting the first time you need to ask for help with a Banggai full of eggs and I understand being hypersensitive. I've been known to get snippy, but never Frank :)

Good thing he's the forum moderator, eh? Besides the education he has lots of class!

Good luck and I hope to see pictures of your little Banggai in a few weeks.

Guy

rsaund
01/30/2002, 09:06 AM
Thanks, Guy,

I'm all better now:D

Yeah, it was an unexpected spawn and caught me by surprise. I am leaving for 8 days vacation on Friday and don't know when the happy event first occurred. So I was trying to get good info fast, and prepare for stuff I needed for when I get back. So... there was a little stress involved.

I realize I could have just ignored the pair, and let the babies make their way into the 125 gallon world all by themselves, but I tend to get parental:rolleyes:

Heck, I even have trouble pruning the plants in my freshwater aquarium without making sure they have good homes to go to first!

Thanks again,

I hope I have something to share soon.

Robin