PDA

View Full Version : Bad news :(

H2OLUVSME
05/12/2005, 10:24 AM
i came home yesterday to an 80* degree house and a 91* tank :(

i immediatly turned off the lights and opened the canopy and stand doors. i have a few hugely bleached spots on my biggest SPS colony, the anemones were shriveled up, but bloated at the same time. all my zoas, palys, and even star polyps were closed and stressed. my fish were particularly lethargic. it took about 3 hours without light and fans running full blast to get back down to normal-ish temp. im sure the temp drop was as stressful as the high temps. ill see how everything is today. i may need to frag some stuff down. i wont have room for them all if i do. i allready jammed a bunch of stuff into crevices last week when i fragged the receeding colonies down.

before i went to bed the fish seemed almost normal again, but all the polyps still looked bad. ill see what everything looks like today when i get home. hopefully all is not lost.

alphaferret
05/12/2005, 10:30 AM
what happened - did you lose your ac - or just did'nt think it was getting that hot that day

H2OLUVSME
05/12/2005, 10:43 AM
the night before was a little cooler than i thought it was going to be. i set the air for 68* (i like it chilly at night). it got down to about 64-65 in the house. when we woke up my wife set the heat at 70 to knock the morning chill off. we never set it back to cool. it got up about 80-82* yesterday outside and we had almost all of our blinds open (lots of windows). it just created the green house effect and baked my house. with no air it got pretty hot. also we leave the sliding door cracked for the cats to come in and out. 80*+ heat was just coming into our house all day long. it was actually cooler outside than inside when we got home.

skippy2
05/12/2005, 10:51 AM
Landon, I am so sorry. I always follow your threads and know how hard you have worked on your tank.

chad508
05/12/2005, 10:59 AM
man that sucks. if you need anything let me know

H2OLUVSME
05/12/2005, 12:29 PM
thanks for your kind thoughts.

i just ran home on my lunch break to check things out (im really paranoid now :rolleyes: ). the main coral didnt look like it was any more bleached (it was still dark), and the anemones and fish look much better.

only time will tell. ill try and post an update when i get home tonight.

BubbaPhish
05/12/2005, 01:58 PM
Man that stinks!!!!!! Sorry to hear about the mishap Landon. Tonya and I have a constant battle with the thermostat. If she's hot, I'm cold and so on........... Maybe a programable thermostat to cycle the heat/ac would help? That would be a cheaper than purchasing a chiller.
Chillers are great insurance but pricey as all get out to get a good one, especially one to handle a 10 degree drop on a tank that size here in the South.
Let us know how things go and if there is anyrthing we can do.

Kevin

will1021
05/12/2005, 05:47 PM
Sorry to hear that Landon. I had a similar issue this past week too. The hottest days are not even here yet and my tank is already at 83 before my lights come on. Getting ready to add some fans to see if that will help.

jjac
05/12/2005, 06:02 PM
Hope everything turns out okay.

dvmsn
05/12/2005, 06:08 PM
I had a roomate turn off hte air for a whole weekend once. I feel your pain.

SptfireXIV
05/12/2005, 06:17 PM
I feel your pain too, it sucks losing corals to heat, it's so aggravating.

I know people joke about this stuff, but I'm sure you can store some frags in my tank, or anybody elses tank, short term if you want to help give your corals a better chance in the long run.

Jason

phishguy78
05/12/2005, 10:40 PM
hey landon just letme know what you need man i got your back brother anything i can do to help let me know

tomterreefic
05/13/2005, 07:56 AM
Damn! I too feel your pain. When I first set-up my MH, I didn't realize how much heat would transfer to the tank (despite everything I'd read). Then I wasn't home when the MH were on so I didn't see how hot the tank was getting. So I effectively cooked over half of my acros. I was able to save some, but most went the way of the dinosaur. Hope everything is gonna make it for you. Can I do anything to help you out?
Tom

H2OLUVSME
05/13/2005, 08:44 AM
thanks for all the support!! you guys are great!! if anything starts looking any worse i will be fragging and spreading them around. as for now i feel very very lucky.

when i got home yesterday the tank was at its normal 82*. the single most bleached coral had regained some of its color (a small portion is still stark white thuough), one other acro has whited out tips, but both still seem to have their flesh. i did see a couple of empty polyp holes which i know cant be good. for the most part everything looks normal. all of the other acros, zoas, LPS look great. my fish are active and feeding like normal.

i feel like i escaped a huge danger, with very little damages.

phishguy78
05/13/2005, 06:20 PM
hey landon gladto hear everything is getting back to normal again i will lend a hand if you need something all you need to do is ask and ill be there if i can

bugshop
05/14/2005, 12:55 AM
That sounds like a close one.
I hope everything works out.

Timmy

BubbaPhish
05/14/2005, 01:07 AM
Landon,
glad to hear that things are looking better, that was a close one.

Kevin

Freed
05/14/2005, 01:11 AM

chad508
05/15/2005, 10:20 PM
everything still looking good landon

H2OLUVSME
05/16/2005, 08:39 AM
well the two SPS in question are looking better, but i still wouldnt say good. the one on the right side is going through even more stress now. one of my bulbs blew out, and i had to replace it with a 10k. ive been doing a shortened intermediate light cyycle with that one because the bulb is so much more intense, but i should get a replacement 15k from reefscience this week.

smariner
05/16/2005, 10:55 PM
You might want to consider having your lights turn on later in the PM... That way if it does indeed get extra hot in the house, you'll be home to catch it before you lamps turn on...

Hope this helps in the future...

Thanks,
Chad D. Bryant