PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Nori (seaweed)

Travis
05/12/2005, 12:02 AM
Just thought I would let everyone know that there is a place in Sioux Falls to get nori for cheap. If you don't know what nori is, it is the same stuff they sell as "seaweed selects" at the LFS's. The only difference is that it isn't packaged for hobby use and, therefore, is about 1/6th the price. You can get a package of 10 sheets for $1.79. You can get the same 10 sheets packaged with the "seaweed selects" label at the LFS for over $10, IIRC. I don't remember the name of the store. It is the only Asian food market in Sioux Falls, AFAIK. It is right next to John Morrel's on Rice Street. You have to deal with the smell of S**T in he air as you walk into the store but it is worth it with how much you save.

Lunchbucket
05/17/2005, 09:09 PM
COOL...only problem is my yellow eye kole tang won't eat nori...only green seaweed selects :( :(

Lunchbucket

Travis
05/18/2005, 12:10 AM
Isn't it the same stuff? That is what I thought anyways as it looks and feels the same.

Now that I think of it. The store I get it from sells two different types both labeled as nori. One is softer and the fish don't like it nearly as much. The other is just like the green seaweed selects. Now I just buy the latter.

Lunchbucket
05/18/2005, 08:15 PM
what color is yours? i have the red nori anbd i have the green seaweed from San Fran something.

Lunchbucket

Travis
05/18/2005, 10:20 PM
Both of them that I've gotten are green. I have tried the red and the brown seaweed selects and my fish prefer the green by far so I now just stick with the green nori.

Lunchbucket
05/19/2005, 08:27 AM
well crap my "natural food store" (a crappy place here in town) only carries the RED stuff...my yellow eye kole won't touch it.

might have to check that asian market out...just have to find it :D

thanks there used to be a store on Western i think that i got some nori at a couple years ago..but they aren't there anymore...so i needed a place to get it!

Lunchbucket

Travis
05/19/2005, 04:53 PM
Yup, the store on West (not Western) Ave. is no longer there.

Lunchbucket
05/19/2005, 09:53 PM
ahh...where is West steet?? sort of by Donovans and scheels?? i thought it was over there for some reason

Lunchbucket

Travis
05/20/2005, 10:57 AM
Nope, that's Western. There may have been a Asian food market over there but I never knew about it. The current phone book lists one on West but it isn't there any more.