PDA

View Full Version : Nonsense

nit
05/11/2005, 02:41 PM
I've heard quite a few people bad mouth Corals-N-Reef and am curious as to why?Is it personal.I am new to Tulsa(since February of this year) and as far as I can tell they're prices are very reasonable and the livestock seems as healthy,if not better as anybody elses in town.I have checked out the other stores and most of the other ones do not even seem to know what they are talking about.I also noticed that if you do not get the stuff right when it comes in then you have to wait a week or more.What happened to quarantine?At least Corals-N-Reefs has a quarantine.How about the others.I think not.Now I'm not saying that all of the other stores are a waste of time or anything but I am saying that Corals-N-Reefs is one of,if not,the best stores in Tulsa.Now I do know that they're prices used to be high but from what I can tell they seem to have come down and I also know for a fact that they won't sell any livestock that isn't healthy.Just wanted to vent some frustration since alot of people like to bash a shop that,in my eyes,doesn't deserve it.

Travis L. Stevens
05/11/2005, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Shizznit
I've heard quite a few people bad mouth Corals-N-Reef and am curious as to why?Is it personal.

I personally think it's personal to those that you hear this from. I, for one, enjoy going to the place. It's just a little far out of my way to swing by often. I used to visit it quite frequently.

I am new to Tulsa(since February of this year) and as far as I can tell they're prices are very reasonable and the livestock seems as healthy,if not better as anybody elses in town.

Welcome to Tulsa! Yes, their prices are pretty reasonable. They aren't the lowest and they definitely aren't the highest. They're the lowest of the middle range if that makes sense. As far as healthy livestock, they are very good at keeping healthy livestock which is a rarity in most LFSs.

I have checked out the other stores and most of the other ones do not even seem to know what they are talking about.

You're absolutely right. There are a lot that only do what they can to lure a customer. Others have different ways that they have been successful and make it their selling point because it worked. But most of the good stores are all based on their personal experience. In fact, I believe Paws runs canister filters and their tank looks wonderful. They must be doing proper and constant filter maintanence. Though most of us are here are inclined for sumps, I have seen many successful tanks with various filtration methods. In fact, here on RC I remember seeing someone with a undergravel filter reef setup that has been up since 1972.

I also noticed that if you do not get the stuff right when it comes in then you have to wait a week or more.

That is true. People like OMAS members like to get a good selection :D But seriously, people like to plan their purchases around shipment dates. And I know that saltwater seems to be a large growing trend here in the Tulsa area. So, stores have difficulty keeping up, but also keep in mind that if they get too much, it will overkill the bioload or have too much stock that will never get sold.

What happened to quarantine?

It begins and ends at your own home.

At least Corals-N-Reefs has a quarantine.How about the others.I think not.

Yes, they do. And it's very nice that they do. It reduces the home quarintine time significantly. Some other stores don't because they cater to the experienced marine aquarists who SHOULD have a home QT. Some stores don't because they just sell their stock way too fast. Others just don't *cough* petco, petsmart *cough, cough*.

Now I'm not saying that all of the other stores are a waste of time or anything but I am saying that Corals-N-Reefs is one of,if not,the best stores in Tulsa.{/QUOTE]

Yes, it is. I would rank it in the Top Five easily.

[QUOTE]Now I do know that they're prices used to be high but from what I can tell they seem to have come down and I also know for a fact that they won't sell any livestock that isn't healthy.

I believe they have come down quite a bit. Almost all of their stock is in top performance.

Just wanted to vent some frustration since alot of people like to bash a shop that,in my eyes,doesn't deserve it.

No problem. Feel free to vent. I enjoy hearing people's opinions and reasoning as long as they aren't being rude and hateful. I hope the people that have been bashing CnR are far and few, but everyone is entitled to their opinions. But I'm sure someone out there will pick apart a tiny flaw and turn it into something huge. Like the 10 inch sailfin tang that I keep in my 10g I keep getting flack about. Just kidding :lol: In fact, CnR took in a few of my freshwater fish that I was unable to keep anymore that ended up getting ich shortly before I had to give them up. They took them to their own quarintine in the back. I wonder what happened to them? Live? Die? Go on to a new home? Oh well, thanks for letting us know how you feel.

TheMcs
05/11/2005, 03:16 PM
I've never heard CNR badmouthed, but if you want my take on them here it goes.

When I've gone in there they have had a nice selection of corals and fish. The prices always seem to be close to double what I pay elsewhere. Example, my last visit there I saw a ~$50 lyretail anthias.

I've not been there enough to know that they quarantine, but if they do, that's awesome.

I remember seeing a few things at the old location that I thought were questionable. Can't recall exactly what, I've slept since then.

Again, I've never heard them bashed in any way. I don't have anything against them other than thinking their prices are a bit high. They're just not on my list of stops. I guess a big part of that is I buy a lot of frags which I don't see at CNR.

(if anyone is in anyway offended by my views, then you're a bit sensitive.)

((hope this doesn't turn into another one of those threads))

REEF ON!

jaugat
05/11/2005, 08:24 PM
Shizznit,

Let me guess, you are the assistant manager at CNR????

Nice name, for sheezie!

For those that say the LFS' don't know what they are talking about, you need to drive to Oddballs.

Any store is better than the store you all had in Lawton!

Heck, petspart has a better selection of saltwater.

jjmcat
05/11/2005, 10:18 PM
lol

Thumper1
05/12/2005, 08:20 AM
I honestly cant see where this post came from but here's my take.
The store is nice enough and a good selection, prices are at least double that of most stores in Tulsa and I would think is the set back to the store. I'm an honest believer in you get what you pay for but If I'm paying for them to qt a fish when I'm going to go home and do it all over again anyway, I Dont Think So. The times I went in I stood around forever without anyone asking me if I needed help and I got frustrated and left the last time.
Now I'm not bashing the store as you call it but I BEt you did them more harm than good by starting this post.
For the record can you show me a post where CNR were getting bashed and why this post was started on here, go else where if you feel you must try and start a big ^%$ storm and sures hell dont come on here if you work at CNR like I think we all do, such a childish move. If i find you do work their I can GUARANTEE you will never see me in their again.

ReeferKeith
05/12/2005, 10:05 AM
I find it ironic the title of this thread is "nonsense" :rolleye1:

Travis L. Stevens
05/12/2005, 10:34 AM
Greg, I agree, I haven't heard anything bad (until people started posting here). Their prices used to be far out of my budget, but I believe they aren't too bad now. I bought a bangaii cardinal from them for $24 and bought a second one from Ultimate Reefs for $20. That's not too bad of a difference. They began to pair up before they died as well. But I assume they both were wild caught and caught/had a disease, because they both died rather quickly. I'm still curious why that happened.

jaugat, lets not go bashing into a flame board here. Yes, this Lawton store you talk about (I havent been to or heard of it) might have a bad selection, but that's an issue to take up directly with the store. Ask them politely to widen their selection and something might get done. If not, it's outta our hands. Even if Shizznit was a CnR employee, it doesn't matter. This person was just posting their thoughts

Reuben (Thumper1), I have been into every store here in the Tulsa area and have at least not been greeted once (even AquaOdd and UltReefs have missed me a couple times and they know me by face and name), but that isn't always a reason not to go. I've been in CnR many times and I have and haven't been greeted. I was greeted when I got the bangaii (before I bought it :D ) and the next time I went in there because I was close by. If it was someone from CnR posting about CnR it was rather childish, but that doesn't mean that it hurt CnR, this person was simply asking the question of why he hears so much about it. They just might want some feedback from OMAS members (customer feedback if it WAS a CnR employee). But why would you not go back if they post something a little negative AND work there. What if Scott (oddballs) posted something negative? Would you still go back to AquaOdd?

TheMcs
05/12/2005, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by ReeferKeith
I find it ironic the title of this thread is "nonsense" :rolleye1:

Foreshadowing perhaps? :D

Travis L. Stevens
05/12/2005, 12:50 PM
:lol:

Thumper1
05/12/2005, 01:14 PM
If anyone wnats to come on here and be a poser then go right ahead but when under their name it says their a Manager of a local fish store and then come on here acting like a regular customer this is crazy and is honestly the number one way to get me fired up on the internet. If they wanted a honest oppinion on something then why not just ask instead of acting like a 5 year old.
Everyone is entittled to their oppinions and I have mine as well so here we are, what next?
For the record if Scott or Shane came on here posing as a customer, "Which I know They Wouldn't" I would feel the same way. I Hate POSERS, what can I say.
With this being said is this giving CNR any good advertisment, I dont think so but I'm through with it. I've said all I'm saying,

Travis L. Stevens
05/12/2005, 01:27 PM
I understand where you are coming from Thumper1 and you are absolutely right about asking for an opinion in a manner other than honest is just silly.

No, this is in fact horrible advertisement and I hope it was not intended to be a form of advertisement. But I believe someone, whether shizznit is the Assistant Manager of CnR or another store or not one at all since he/she has moved, has put a large smear on CnR's reputation.

But I am going to ignore EVERYTHING posted above this and ask this as a serious question to all that read this thread.

Have you heard anyone bashing Corals and Reefs. If so, why? Is this a personal issue with these people?

jaugat
05/13/2005, 09:07 PM
Travis,

Does your boss know that you are on this site all day, every day?

Nevermind, you must be the boss!

Thanks for your input. I truely enjoy your posts on both OK
forums.

I second Thumper!

-Jon

Agu
05/14/2005, 02:05 PM
It would be wise in to divulge any business/financial affiliations one has before commenting. LFS employees/owners are encouraged to post on RC in a non-commercial manner in in compliance with the user agreement, just like everybody else.

Thanks for your future cooperation,

Agu

okiebones
05/16/2005, 08:00 PM
You gotta love controversy! Okay, okay..you want my opinion you say? Oh...you don't? Oh well...here it is nevertheless. C & R has always sported a nice visual appeal...this i do like. But...alas..a little story. When i was a wee polyp I went looking to inquire about a reef tank set-up and happened upon C & R. I looked around for about 15 minutes ( during which time noone asked me if I needed help ). It was the owners daughter, Melissa? at the helm and she stayed on the phone on an obviously personal call. When she got off the phone I approached and stood at the counter while she spent another 5 minutes messing her fingernails and still not acknowledging my presence. "Uh Excuse me ma'am"...which prompted her to look up and that's it...just look. I asked if I could ask a couple of questions and she finally gave me her attention. I simply asked this.."What is a BALLPARK figure for...." ( described a tank system in detail )? She replied "I'm not sure...it depends". I explained all I wanted was a very rough guesstimate as she kept telling me "I can't really do that...I don't want you coming backc in here later saying I quoted you such and such". I reiterated that I only wanted a ballpark guess to whch she said in almost a disgusted tone "OK...FINE...Uh ...OK..10,000 dollars OK? Not one thought went into this answer and that was that.
You think I felt valued as a potential customer..I don't think so.
There you have my experience with that place...it was a great one don't you think?

Doc

okiebones
05/16/2005, 08:10 PM
Travis.....We now have meds for Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder.
Recovery starts something along these lines...taking Step 1 is always the hardest.

Uh..My name is Travis and I'm.....ummmm,..uh...p....p.powerless over ReefCentral Posting and my l...life is uhhh....un..unmanageable.

(then the crowd in the smoky room replies...)

[SIZE=3]HI TRAVIS!!!!! and the applause was immense!
:bounce1: :bounce3: :dance: :bounce3: :bounce1:

Travis L. Stevens
05/17/2005, 09:04 AM
LOL :lol: ah yes, boredism, my new religion, gets the best of me. Ol' Okiebones, it sounds like you had a pretty bad experience there. It seems like people either have a great time or a bad time there. But that;s why I visit a place more than once. you never know if someone is having an off day, an employee about to get fired, etc etc. I remember my first couple times in Ultimate Reefs was not a very pleasent one at all. I was very frustrated and tired of hearing loads of crock about things I already knew the right answer from UR's previous owner. I'm glad Shane took it over.

btw. I may have been in the wrong "anonymous" meeting if the room was smokey. I may have landed myself into a Smoker's Anonymous group by accident. See everyone later this evening.

TheMcs
05/17/2005, 10:56 AM
Shane has always owned UR. He just had Nick working there most of the time, presumably while Shane was taking care of tank maintenance.

Travis L. Stevens
05/17/2005, 11:14 AM
ah, I didn't know that, but I always had bad experinces with "Nick" but that just proves customer service makes most of a business