PDA

View Full Version : Squamosa as a snack?

medrvwrx
01/25/2002, 01:24 PM
Ok,

Who do you think would be a likely suspect to have turned a 1.5" Squamosa into a snack?

In my tank I have:
(1) Banggai Cardinal
(1) Firefish
(2) Skunk Cleaner Shrimps
(1) Peppermint Shrimp
(1) Mithrax (0.75" accross so still small)
Assorted small hermits

I am suspecting the peppermint shrimp, since he was the most recent addition, and the Squamosa was fine with everyone else before.

I bought a 1.5" Squamosa and a 1.5" Maxima last weekend, and they are up by the lights and were doing great. I checked on them at lights out yesterday night, and this morning when I got up at 5:30 AM, I peeked in on them. The Squamosa shell was down on the ground, and there was just a tiny strand of meat left in the shell. The Mithrax was close by and so was the peppermint.

Thanks,
Tony

Chaotic Reefer4u-old
01/25/2002, 01:37 PM
i suspect your shrimps and crab! maybe even your small hermits, if they are blue leg. sorry about the loss:mad:

GH Sniper
01/31/2002, 08:41 AM
I would almost bet on the shrimp. It doesn't take long before all of them get in there and have a good ol' meal.

If you are going to have clams in an aquarium then, I would seek alternate methods of cleaning besides the shrimp and crabs.

Sorry to hear of your loss.

medrvwrx
02/01/2002, 02:11 PM
Well, the small Maxima I have got chomped on Wednesday. I think that I might have a Mantis shrimp in my tank now. I also found two Astrea shells that were empty.

The Maxima was anchored to the rock, and one morning, I found the clam had moved, but the attaching flesh was still stuck to the rock. So I am thinking maybe a Mantis had knocked it off and then came back later to finish the meal.

I put in the soda bottle trap and go the peppermint shrimp, he is doing fine in the sump.

The Emerald crab died after the initial Squamosa got eaten. So that is one less suspect.

I think I will see if something turns up in my trap. If I get a Mantis, then I might put another clam into the tank.

Tony

GH Sniper
02/01/2002, 02:51 PM
I had a Mantis in my tank and it took me pulling out all the rocks and squirting RO/DI water into each hole to finally find him.

I had satisfaction that he went to a good home- one with an octopus in it!