PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Nanny
04/27/2000, 04:13 AM
Hi Gang, Just wanted to take a minute and say hello. I've been lurking for some months now,and figured it best I come out of the shadows..Pat

Q-ball
04/27/2000, 04:42 AM
Ahhhhh, Pat! I've been waiting for you my friend! Come in, Come in! Welcome to the party! Muahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!! mmmm, brb, white coats are coming...
"ACH!"
"BACK YOU FIEND!"
"HEY, WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO WITH THAT!!!
"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!"

Q

------------------
Reality is merely a short-lived perception, make of it what you will.

jimhobbs
04/27/2000, 04:57 AM
... just a little pin pr1ck, but you may feel a little sick

Hellow! It's Pat!... Welcome to reefcentral!...Don't mind Q, we've been adjusting his dosage for the last few weeks; and he's still fighting the new gene splicing of the letter "T" into his matrix...He'll come around! ;)

Tell us a bit about your tank/setup and what critters are ya' keeping?...Make sure and come by the lounge for a cyber-brewski! ;)

Have fun guys!...jim :)

[This message has been edited by jimhobbs (edited 04-27-2000).]

Fishwife
04/27/2000, 05:02 AM
Geez Q - Why don'tcha just scare her off or somethin'?!?!? :D

Welcome, Nanny aka Pat. This is a terrific board and as one of the minority players, I'd like to extend a howdy-do as your join our swelling ranks - HUH? Don't mind me, way too early in the A.M.

Laurie

------------------
Fishwife

"By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea..."

Nanny
04/27/2000, 05:14 AM
Thanks for the nice welcome guys/gals. I have been keeping a reef for about 15 years now. My hubby insist on calling it a fish tank!, I'm gonna kill him one of these days. Perhaps I'll just sik Q- after him. Currently I am running a 180 REEF! with a 4" sandbed of all L.S. and about 300 Lbs. of L.R..I use a 100 Gal. horse trough as a sump. Thanks for the nice welcome..Pat

Piege
04/27/2000, 05:31 AM
Welcome Pat. You live so close by! I'd love to hear where you go to shop for your animals!

Thanks,
JP

Q-ball
04/27/2000, 05:37 AM
Laurie, did you say "Swelling"???
hehe, hehe, Muahahahahahaha!!!!! <==Q's best evil Beavis laugh.

Pat, Q is for hire to re-educate all infidels! I'll give him a HA!, a HA!, and a Hi-YA! sigh, whitecoats again, back in a bit...(Q runs out stage right)

Q

------------------
Reality is merely a short-lived perception, make of it what you will.

Nanny
04/27/2000, 05:48 AM
Hi Piege, Anywhere but Waterbury,That's for sure. I long since have steered clear of the Likes of World Wide Death Supply. Actually there is a fellow who lives close by to us and I let him get anything I want. He ain't cheap but the stuff he gets is always primo,and considerably less then the House of Finance in Greenwich. I don't think I can mention his name on this board as it might break the commercial rules, heck I just signed on, I don't want to get kicked off already. Or worst yet, they'll send Q- to hunt me down <G>...Pat

Larry M
04/27/2000, 06:50 AM
Welcome, Pat!

------------------
Larry M

See my tanks at Northern Reef (http://www.reefcentral.com/northernreef/index.htm)

Nanny
04/27/2000, 07:17 AM
Thanks Larry, I was kind of looking forward to a pic of you in your cameo Undies, up to your pits in SW. Don't you think that that pic would make an excellent entry in the Logo contest?..Pat

Larry M
04/27/2000, 07:18 AM
Interesting idea, Pat, but I would be concerned about lawsuits from all the heart attacks. :D

------------------
Larry M

See my tanks at Northern Reef (http://www.reefcentral.com/northernreef/index.htm)

Aquaman
04/27/2000, 08:41 AM
Oh goody, goody, A new playmate.

Horse Trough you say, Thats got to be the most unique sump I've heard of yet. So what do the horses use?? ;)

------------------
Teach what you have known for years as if you learned it yesterday,
Teach what you learned yesterday as if you have known it all you life.
Life is short so Reef Hard

www.magicnet.net/~jwhite/aquamans.html (http://www.magicnet.net/~jwhite/aquamans.html)

Agu
04/27/2000, 12:37 PM
Welcome. Reefin for 15 years? I'm more interested in how you kept things alive 15 years ago than your current setup.(although that would be interesting too)

Dwayne
04/27/2000, 12:40 PM
Welcome. With all the 'comic' talent around here, I just say "Welcome."

Dwayne

[This message has been edited by Dwayne (edited 04-27-2000).]

aLittletank
04/27/2000, 12:58 PM
hello Nanny

Mark this day on your calander.
your family will call it "the begining of the maddness" http://geocities.com/r337m0nk3y/dvv/cwmstone.gif

Allen

Nanny
04/27/2000, 01:19 PM
Agu,15 years ago was actually easier then you might think. Our choices were however severly limited. Back then we thought that Stonies were devoted fans of "The Rolling Stones" who knew?.Pretty much everyone in the hobby used U.G. filters, and water changes were continual. Only the most fiscally sound hobbyist could afford anything as elaborate as an R.O. system. For our water changes we would go with massive bukets and containers and collect our replacement water from a nearby spring. I think one of the most interesting things that occured back then,but today is unheard of is our salt mixes. There really wasn't any ready to go salt available, this meant of course mixing our own salt + additives. It would seem that most everyone had a differant recipe for a salt mix. Some were definatly more successful then others. alot of the hobbyist back then were building their own tanks as well, the reason for this being that store bought tanks mostly had steel frames around them. For obvious reasons this really didn't work for us. Protein Skimmers, what the heck is that one might have been heard to say back then. Off the top of my head these are a few of the things I can think of. With further advancements in the hobby, what we were able to keep alive changed and made the hobby that much more enjoyable...Pat

Larry M
04/27/2000, 02:10 PM
Whoa, I missed the fifteen years part the first time around. Dang that speed reading class!!
Well, I'm glad you picked us, I'm sure we can all learn something from you. Like Littletank says though, it could be "The End of Days."
:cool:

------------------
Larry M

hesaias
04/27/2000, 04:09 PM
Helloooooooo!
So nice to see, er, read you!
Hope you like it here.
What kind of animals did you have to choose from 15 years ago?

------------------
hesaias

My Homepage (http://www.angelfire.com/on2/hesaias/index.html)

Carlos
04/27/2000, 04:11 PM
Bienvenida!!!!

------------------
Carlos
Carlos' Great Barrier (http://www.ntsource.com/~cchaco2)
Please, take care of the ocean and its inhabitants. They're all we've got!

RCraw45425
04/27/2000, 07:28 PM
Hi Pat, welcome to our little corner of the world. Hope you like us and bookmark this site. We tend to be a little casual here, unlike some of the other boards, but hey, it works for us! ;) Robin

------------------
tank at: members.xoom.com/jimhobbs/simba.htm (http://members.xoom.com/jimhobbs/simba.htm)

Anemone of the State
04/27/2000, 07:37 PM
Wait a second! I had saltwater fish 20 years ago, and had an all-glass aquarium, and IO salt, and protein skimmers were certainly available (though were out of fashion). I did have an UG filter (and do today in one aquarium) and the lighting REALLY was primitive, but you make it sound like everyone was smelting their own ore. My fish did well then, my clowns spawned and my carpet anemone that they lived in stayed alive several years (and was returned with everything else when I left home).

Doug1
04/27/2000, 11:46 PM
Welcome Pat, by all means share stories of reefin in the "olden days" I ve only been reefing for 3 yrs but have kept SW fish since 1975, some of these young upstarts don't believe there were SW fish way back in the "dark Ages" anyway I hope you enjoy the special place we've carved out here :) Feel free to drop by larry's competitor(LOL, shameless plug) www.thereeftank.com (http://www.thereeftank.com) I can always use help whipping the new reefers into shape. Sorry larry I wont shamelessly hustle anymore

------------------
Reef as though your life depended on it, yours might but the sea's does.........Doug ReefCentral/ReefTank moderator

[This message has been edited by Doug1 (edited 04-28-2000).]

Nanny
04/28/2000, 03:50 AM
Hi there, well, I'm beginning to feel very ancient, Perhaps I do date back a tad more then 15 yrs. in this hobby.
English certainly is not my native tongue, I suspect that not all products which were available in the US were available to us in my homeland, this could account for my memories of salt mixing and all metal framed tanks.
The majority of what was available to us as far as species are the fish we consider quite common to us today.
Top of that list was the Tang family,the clownfish was readily available and considered an exotic sp back then, I also remeber Lions and triggers having a heavy presence.
This combination of available fish taught me my first lessons of fish compatibility and behavior.
Thanks for the nice welcome to everyone..Pat

SoundsFishy
04/28/2000, 07:36 AM
OOOOH Geeesh.
Flashbacks to the days of U/G and Diatom filters :eek: , Tap water :0 , And boy did I feel like I was state of the art :D And did I forget to mention that I new everything back then :p Come to think of it I know less now than I did then :confused:
Oh well a few years of humble pie never killed anyone.
A big heart felt sorry to Fish gone bye.

------------------
Save a LIFE
Read Research and
Question.

ladyballplayer
04/28/2000, 08:20 AM
Welcome Nanny.
I'm too brain dead today to think of anything funny - so just welcome.

:)

------------------
LadyBallPlayer
http://www.geocities.com/ladybeachlover

GARYD
04/28/2000, 11:54 PM
in the words of the great nad flanders"HIDDY HO NEIGHBOR".happy reefing

Piege
04/29/2000, 04:29 AM
Nanny,
Email me off the board and let me know who this person is you buy from. Fyrman0911@aol.com

I know what you mean about WWP. DId you see the story channel 8 did on them a while back? I have noticed that they no longer advertise around anymore, so I am hoping that piece was a serious blow to their business.

Do you buy from Waterbury Aquarium at all? Chris has been geting in some good looking things now that he redid his entire saltwater section downstairs. Have you tried going to Paragon yet?

I haven't been to the Greenwich store at all but I have been to Reef and Fin in Stamford. While the place looked great and all the sutff was in good shape from what I saw, his prices were very high. I also hear there is a good place in Milford, but I have yet to visit there.

TTYL,
JP

Rick O
04/29/2000, 04:43 AM
180g...(drool...drool)

reefland
04/29/2000, 10:03 AM
For you two in CT, the store on the post road in Milford is the mbst around IMO. The owners name is Charlie, and he is very knowledgable. Another great thing is the store is strictly saltwater, besides the small pond he has in the center for show.
Prices are reasonable, especially for the quality of livestock. Hit I-95 and get off at exit 39A then go right. His store is on the right about 1/2 mile down.

------------------
Visit the newest site for aquariums @ http://www.reefland.com

[This message has been edited by reefland (edited 04-29-2000).]

Snailman
04/29/2000, 01:25 PM
Welcome aboard Pat.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Aquaman:
Horse Trough you say, Thats got to be the most unique sump I've heard of yet. So what do the horses use?? ;)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aquaman... We use a 150 gallon Rubbermaid horse watering trough also. If you want to see the killer check out John Rices 300 gallon Rubbermaid horse trough that he uses for a refugia. :)