PDA

View Full Version : Dosing iodine?

squidbait
01/25/2002, 12:25 PM
I got a cleaner shrimp and have been told he needs iodine. Do I use regular iodine from the supermarket, or should I use something specific for salt water fish? Also, I need to know how much to dose. Thanks!

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/25/2002, 12:43 PM
squid:

The evidence that shrimp need iodine is fairly poor, and Ron will tell you they need none.

I dose iodide to my tank, and think it to be a reasonable thing to do, but other than algae, I can't tell you of any organism that I believe benefits directly.

I recommend people dose iodide only. It is inexpensive, less toxic, and buildup in the tank is less of a concern.

Try this product from ESV:

http://www.esvco.com/prod8.htm

I'd use less than they recommend. For their product, I'd dose about 1 mL per 100 gallons, twice per week. That will add to the tank about 0.02 ppm of I- (a typical NSW level) twice a week.

squidbait
01/25/2002, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the quick reply!

viking30
01/25/2002, 05:55 PM
Randy,

I ordered some Potassium Iodide here in Aus but when it arrived its in a powder form. Could you give me some idea on mixing this and or adding to the tank. i.e. does 1gram = 1ml of the liquid measure?
I have read quite a bit on dosing but all is for the liquid form.
Trust me to end up with powder!
Cheers,
Viking.

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/25/2002, 07:28 PM
ESV's product, and the dosing that I referred to, is for a 1% solution. So if you put 1 g in 100 mL of water (well, 99 mL to be exact), you'll have the same thing.

viking30
01/26/2002, 02:11 AM
Thanks Randy,
So my 100 g of powder that i bought for $13 is going to last quite a long time then. :)

Cheers,
Viking.