PDA

View Full Version : Moving To Tulsa!!!

surffer1877
05/10/2005, 12:58 AM
Hey everyone, i recently got a scholarship to U. of Tulsa for football and i'm moving out there from California. I've had a reef tank goin for about 2 years now and i'm leaving it behind since i dont want to risk losing my livestock and corals while trying to ship them out there. i was wondering if there are any marine stores out there where i could set up a smaller tank while i' m there for the next two years??? are they any good or is it better to just go off the internet? thanks everyone:strooper:

TheMcs
05/10/2005, 07:46 AM
Welcome to Tulsa!

There's a wealth of good shops here. They make shopping online look like a PITA.

You'll enjoy Tulsa. The TU atmosphere is cool, and you're close to some fun parts of town. Not much surfing here though.

When are you going to move here? Fall? Make sure to come to OMAS as soon as you can.

Travis L. Stevens
05/10/2005, 09:01 AM
Don't leave your tank behinf. :( Im sure all of us here will be more than happy to help watch livestock while you cycle (if you re-setup the tank without using the older water) if that's what you're worried about. That's what reef clubs are for. Helping.

surffer1877
05/12/2005, 12:35 AM
well i leave for tulsa june 6 and i'm leaving my 12 and 24 behind but am hoping to maybe set up a smaller tank when i'm out there
i'm just too worried about transporting everything out there so my dad will be taking care of everything while i'm away, i'll try to set some pics up on here so you guys can check out what i got....so what does it cost to be in the club? i wont have a car out there just a skateboard how far are yyour meetings and how far are some fish stores from TU? thanks aaron

Travis L. Stevens
05/12/2005, 08:36 AM
Let's see. I think the closest set of pet stores is Aquarium Oddballs and Paws. They are both at roughly 31st & Sheridan. TU is located at 11th and Harvard. So that is 2 miles from 11th to 31st and another 2 miles from Harvard to Sheridan. Total, 4 miles. Lemme give you a crash course on navigating through Tulsa. Running from north to south the numbered main roads with stop lights are Admiral (1st street), 11th, 21st, 31st,....all the way into the 181st, but that is would be like going to Bixby. Each intercal of 10 streets is 1 mile. As for going west to east, we encounter the main problem of named streets. For the most part, all the streets are in alphabetical order. My sister told me a little saying, but I can't remember it all correctly, so it sounds funny but it works. RPLHYSMMG. These, too, are the main 1 mile intercal roads. I say that RPLHYSMMG thing like this - RiPple HYS MoMma G (ripple his momma g) What that means, I don't know, but it helps That would be Riverside, Peoria, Lewis, Harvard, Yale, Sheridan, Memorial, Mingo, Garnett. There are more roads but those are the main ones through Tulsa. Being at TU leaves you at 11th and Harvard and a place like Ultimate Reefs is at 61st and Memorial. Therefore Ultimate Reefs is 8 miles away. Once you get used to this method of navigation it's very easy. I should take you around town when you move up here at some point. Im often in Tulsa, though I live in Stillwater

TheMcs
05/12/2005, 02:37 PM
I think student dues are $15/year, could be wrong though.
Meetings are at a different member's house each month, usually on a Tuesday.
Don't think you can skateboard down 169...

Travis L. Stevens
05/12/2005, 02:44 PM
lol. are you kidding, everytime I drive 169 you cant walk on it cause some idiot wrecked. I guess I have bad timing

okiebones
05/13/2005, 06:42 PM
Aaron...Welcome to Tulsa soon enough. Our meetings each month are in different places each month but I'm sure someone around here would give you a ride easy enough.
Will most likely meet you soon!

Doc