PDA

View Full Version : New LR with bubble algae on it

bigbenji
05/08/2005, 11:15 PM
I just picked up some more LR but its got a few specs of bubble algae on it. Right now its sitting in a rubbermaid container with a powerhead, heater and light on it. There are some snails and hermits in there. What should I do about the bubble algae, and what's the proper quarantine procedure (?) or cleaning LR before introducing it to an established tank? My tank is about 6 months old, so the term established is being used lightly. I know the chaetto in my sump will help, but my sump is puny. John I might need to stop by when you throw some of your algae out.

Did I miss the next meeting or am I just not invited for asking too many stupid questions?

selgado
05/09/2005, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by bencpht
I just picked up some more LR but its got a few specs of bubble algae on it. Right now its sitting in a rubbermaid container with a powerhead, heater and light on it. There are some snails and hermits in there. What should I do about the bubble algae, and what's the proper quarantine procedure (?) or cleaning LR before introducing it to an established tank? My tank is about 6 months old, so the term established is being used lightly. I know the chaetto in my sump will help, but my sump is puny. John I might need to stop by when you throw some of your algae out.

Did I miss the next meeting or am I just not invited for asking too many stupid questions?

I've got plenty of it whenever you're ready. This stuff grows like a champ for me. It does a great job with nutrient export. As for as the bubble algae, I would definitely scrub it real good especially since you have visible pests.

By the way, hows the powercompacts working out? Are the freshies blind yet?

bigbenji
05/09/2005, 01:19 AM
haha, who cares? JK. Those pc's really make that tank look sweet. So you think those white things are pests? Somebody tried to tell me they were brittle stars, and I can usually recognize sarcasm. So I should scrub the rock with a toothbrush and put it back in the rubbermaid, after I've dumped, cleaned, and refilled the rubbermaid? Then wait a week and check it again? Dang this hobby is slow.

selgado
05/10/2005, 12:46 AM
haha, who cares? JK. Those pc's really make that tank look sweet. So you think those white things are pests? Somebody tried to tell me they were brittle stars, and I can usually recognize sarcasm. So I should scrub the rock with a toothbrush and put it back in the rubbermaid, after I've dumped, cleaned, and refilled the rubbermaid? Then wait a week and check it again? Dang this hobby is slow.

What white things? I don't remember you mentioning them to me. Refresh my memory. I don't know about the toothbrush, sounds a bit time consuming to me. I would use something bigger. But if you've got the time...

As far as the rubbermaid - I've always successfully added new rock to the system to cure after a short time in quarantine to make sure I don't have any unwanted hitchhikers and maybe a light brushing if necessary, but I've only added a little at a time and that's in a 75 gallon, probably 85 with the sump and fuge. A 20 is a different story - there's not a lot of room for error there. It would probably be in your best interest scrub it, swoosh it around in the water to rinse it off and put some new water in.

bigbenji
05/10/2005, 11:13 PM
Well, I scrubbed a piece, swooshed it in catalina ocean water (which is what I use for the tank anyway) and placed 1 piece. What do you think, 1 piece a week until I'm happy? I'll increase the water changes too just to make sure.

Nano-keeping sucks just so ya know. This thing requires more attention than my dog, and my dog isn't really housetrained yet. I'm also not afraid of the dog just dropping dead.

Question about the zoas I picked up. On one of the frags none of the polyps have opened and some of them are falling off. Dead zoas?

Dubbin1
05/11/2005, 09:13 AM

Question about the zoas I picked up. On one of the frags none of the polyps have opened and some of them are falling off. Dead zoas?
Give them time and they should be ok.

bigbenji
05/11/2005, 10:17 AM
Time, its always about the time. I also just wanted to let everyone know that my first coral frag, that pulsing xenia, is finally pulsing. WOOHOO, that only took 2 months.

Oh yeah, anybody need a 16" x 10" x 3" piece of LR? Too big for me, and its got very little coralline on it.

bigdaddyadam
05/11/2005, 10:28 AM
I have to disagree, don't give the zoo's time, because you'll give them time to die off. follow the dip procedure shown in the zoanthid forum, and then after a day or two start taking them closer and closer to the top. mine were dying off and couldn't figure out why. finally took them up near the top of the tank and the rest were fine. from what I understand, if they are brighter zoo's and they aren't opening/dying off, they need brighter light ie. higher in the tank. they usually do better under MH, but PC they need a good bit more because it is diffuse light.

also, if you have bubble algea, stick an emerald crab or two, or even three in with the rocks, they are one of the few things that will eat the stuff. they are pretty reef safe, almost totally if they are smaller, and they love to eat nuisance algea, plus they are just fun little guys.

selgado
05/11/2005, 02:35 PM
Ben, as good as you think I am doing with my 75 gallon, the 10 gallon I setup is giving me a run for the money. I can't seem to kick the cyano problem. I've never had to deal with it in my 75. I'm trying to mimick my 75 setup as closely as possible, but it not working so far.

As far as the zoas, I have always lost some polyps during the first couple or few weeks in my system. Time will tell if those loose polyps will find a good spot on their own and start new colonies. They have always been pretty testy as far as finding a happy spot for them too, especially under PC lighting. When I went metal halide, the zoa population in my tank just went nuts. I had some cool green ones on a cool branch-like piece of live rock. At one point, I was down to 3-4 polyps on it, then I got MH and now I have 40+ polyps on it. At the same time,however, I also trapped a couple of pretty big and hungry looking mystery crabs so who knows?

Maybe you can take a hammer to that live rock to make some smaller pieces if you still need to fill in your system. But if you absolutely don't want it shoot me a price I might take if off your hands.

broden
05/11/2005, 06:54 PM
John, For the cyano problem get some Maracyn from your Lfs.turn off your skimmer if you are using a UV sterilizer turn the light off.put in half of 1 tablet of Maracyn wait about three days do a partial water change and with a small hose vac off the now brown colored cyano.then turn your skimmer back on but get ready it will bubble like no tomorrow.In about two days repeat this procedure even if you don't see any new cyano starting.A friend of mine that owns a Lfs taught me this and it really worked great.

Bill

bigbenji
05/11/2005, 08:09 PM
Price? You pretty much gave me that 48" light. If you even think you might be able to use the rock I'll deliver it. I think I'll buy an emerald (mithrax?) crab, they are pretty cool.

selgado
05/12/2005, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by broden
John, For the cyano problem get some Maracyn from your Lfs.turn off your skimmer if you are using a UV sterilizer turn the light off.put in half of 1 tablet of Maracyn wait about three days do a partial water change and with a small hose vac off the now brown colored cyano.then turn your skimmer back on but get ready it will bubble like no tomorrow.In about two days repeat this procedure even if you don't see any new cyano starting.A friend of mine that owns a Lfs taught me this and it really worked great.

Bill

Thanks for the tip Bill I'll look into it

selgado
05/13/2005, 01:32 AM
Price? You pretty much gave me that 48" light. If you even think you might be able to use the rock I'll deliver it. I think I'll buy an emerald (mithrax?) crab, they are pretty cool.

Sorry I over-looked your post ben. Of course I'll take the rock, but honestly you don't owe me anything. If you want I can pick it up at your place. It would be kinda nice to get out of this prison. Let me know.

Oh and by the way how's that angel doing?

bigbenji
05/14/2005, 05:26 PM
The angel tried to take over, but my clown had other ideas. The angel would chase the clown for about 1 lap, then the clown would turn and nail the angel in the side. The angel couldn't turn that sharp since its so much bigger. Now they seem to get along once they figured out noboby's taking anyone else's crap. Live Rock is going in piece by piece, and I picked up a zoo rock from Gary. Very cool, I'll add pics of it to my gallery.