PDA

View Full Version : My Live Rock

DrkShadow
01/24/2002, 09:34 PM
Got my rock today. I'm fairly happy. I got 2 nice size pieces. Too early to tell if I got any critters/hitchikers that made it. Some nice orange stuff which I presume is a sponge of some sort and some red coraline algae :D

This is #45 worth overnighted

DrkShadow
01/24/2002, 09:35 PM
More rock

DrkShadow
01/24/2002, 09:35 PM
More

DrkShadow
01/24/2002, 09:36 PM
Last

Mickster
01/24/2002, 09:43 PM
Looks good! Where did you order it from? What kind are they? Fiji?? Do you mind if I ask how much per/lb?

Mickster

DrkShadow
01/24/2002, 10:40 PM
This is the hand picked Fiji from anchofish.com. Was like $160 for the #45lbs. I might split a 2nd box with Don or someone that needs just a bit. I don't want too much rock. :D

Mickster
01/24/2002, 11:58 PM
Richard,

Have you ever ordered anything else from anchofish.com? How did you find out about them? What do you think of their service? If you want to split some LR, try Grant (Little Reefer Boy). He is in the same position as you are.

Mickey

DrkShadow
01/25/2002, 12:03 AM
Well overall it was good.. They made a mistake and didn't ship the rock Tues for Thurs arrival, was supposed to be 2day. I called Wed cause the tracking # wasnt showing anything. They apologized and sent it overnight. So I'd say I would use them again. Don told me about them. Not sure if Don has used them before though. Ordering snails from premium tomorrow :D Need a clean up crew now.

Mickster
01/25/2002, 12:22 AM
Richard,

Try etropicals.com for the snails. I just got some nassarius, astrea, and a conch from them. The shipping is included in the "built for you" packages. I have also bought some awesome corals from them too. I am very happy with them!

Mickey

Little Reefer Boy
01/25/2002, 12:29 AM
What kind of snails are you wanting? I just ordered from eTropicals for Mickey and myself on Wednesday and got them this morning (Thursday). We really like the nassarius snails. Mickey got some astreas too, plus we each got a fighting conch. I got a few ceriths but I am hesitant about them in general. This is the second time I have gotten ceriths and they don't seem to have a high survival rate, at least for me. Jack at eTropicals said they will sometimes remain motionless for a few days, and then they're off. We'll see. Everything else was great. They have a sale this week on Squamosa clams. $15 for a 2" clam. Not bad.

The best part is their price. On the "Built for you" reef package, you get free shipping and box charge for minimum orders of $50. Plus you get to pick whatever cleanup crew you want. You don't have to have crabs like some vendors packages. Check them out.

Grant

Little Reefer Boy
01/25/2002, 12:36 AM
Hehe....beat me to it.

Mickey, give me a call if you get this soon.

Lilgrasshopper
01/25/2002, 02:04 AM
Hey Mickey,

I want some clams. If I order 6 clams will you keep them for me until my tank is ready? Are squamosas hard to keep? I want a clam heaven!!!

Little Reefer Boy
01/25/2002, 02:14 AM
Tom,

I got one of the $15 squamosa clams. It is a nice size for the price. It is also farm-raised. In theory, they say that makes them hardier. I don't know about that.

They are the greenish brown type of clam. Mickey's big one is a squamosa. We got that when it was little, so it has lived a long time and grown a great deal. They are not as colorful as the maximas and derasas, but they have a nice pattern and still look pretty good. They are always cheaper than the other two, but $15 is still a good deal.

Grant

Lilgrasshopper
01/25/2002, 02:22 AM
You guys are killing me!! My tank is not ready for anything right now. I hate waiting and waiting. I will scrub my rocks off this weekend. It better cycle by next week so I can start adding cleaner crew and sand.

Dispite what people recommend, I'm still doing 10 hours of MH to my rock. Seems like the red algae is dying off and the green hairy algae is taking over. I"m also getting coralline algae on my glass. Is this a good sign?

Richard: What camera are you using? Why is your tank look like a fallout? :D I can't afford a Nikon 5000... I like how the Dimage 7 looks better than the nikon 950. Can't make up my mind.

DrkShadow
01/25/2002, 12:00 PM
Nikon 950. It's actually pretty clear, I think the lightening is messing up the exposure, need to go into manual mode.

Ordered some from premium, but there out of Trochus =(

Plan on getting Nassarius, Astrea, Trochus & Cerith's.

JasonF
01/25/2002, 06:12 PM
Plan on getting Nassarius, Astrea, Trochus & Cerith's

Aquariums in Edmond, has Trochus and Nassarius. The Reef Shop, is supposed to be getting Nassarius, Trochus and Ceriths in this week. I haven't been by to see if they came in yet.

DrkShadow
01/25/2002, 07:44 PM
Cool =)