PDA

View Full Version : RO/DI needed for Youngstown city water?

reefr_madniss
05/06/2005, 02:12 PM
I'm currently browsing for an RO/DI unit. I've looked at the water report for our area: http://www.youngstownwater.com/water-report.htm

Being new to the hobby and not entirely understanding all of the measurements, do you guys use RO/DI for your tanks?

Thanks,
Kevin

sbluscombe
05/06/2005, 08:26 PM
Hi kevin,
RO/DI is always a good thing to use. Are you comming to the next meeting. There would be a lot of help for you there. That is one of the main reasons this club was formed. To help out newbies like you so you don't make costly mistakes and can get to understand how everything works.
Steve

STACKER
05/09/2005, 06:35 AM
Most of us use RO/DI, my water is way high in Ca, No, Po, and Fe so it's basically necessary for keeping decent water.

Howieytown
05/09/2005, 08:08 PM
I know of at least 5 LFS in a 50 radius from here all using city water and all use either RO or DI water filters.
Two of those in Y-town using city water.

I have well water here and my first tank used it straight from the well which was also run thru a top of the line water softner. Things stayed alive alright and did pretty good but now i have a RO unit and I'm taking in less hardy species and having good luck so far.

I'd say if you want to start with city water go ahead and try it but I'd leave the water set out uncovered to let the chlorine and other gasses get out before it went into the tank. Our hobby seems to be a lot of experimenting and advice! Good luck!

reefr_madniss
05/09/2005, 10:35 PM
I appreciate all of your responses. It sounds like RO/DI is the way to go.

STACKER
05/10/2005, 05:24 AM
Make sure you get a unit that's capable of the water volume you'd like to purify and that the membrane and DI replacement material is available and not too expensive. Also, don't pay much over $100 for one.

sportsguy247
05/11/2005, 10:24 PM
I dont use ro/di and have always had great luck and good color. I have looked into getting one a few times and will prob end up getting one soon just to see if color gets better.

STACKER
05/13/2005, 06:46 AM
I didn't see a color change but did see a drop in fert. overall, less micro algae, and more rapid growth/reproduction of corals and inverts. The big color change came with the light upgrades.

reefr_madniss
05/13/2005, 09:27 AM
I ended up purchasing this RO/DI from ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20684&item=4381278150&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Got it for 89.99 + 30 shipping

Supposed to be here on the 18th, hopefully it's good enough... Thanks for all the input!

Jamesvcanfield
05/13/2005, 09:33 AM
I'd say you did fine. Wow.

STACKER
05/13/2005, 10:08 AM
Yup, that'll do nicely. I hooked mine up w/o the pressure tank because a trickle is all I need for output. You'll like it till you have to buy a new membrane that costs as much as the unit itself. The only drawback of RO/DI's.