PDA

View Full Version : need some help with SPS recession

H2OLUVSME
05/04/2005, 03:56 PM
i have a few corals that are starting to receed a little. i think is because of all the water changes i was doing, never letting the tank get really stable. well now that ive taken my focus off of the nasty algae ive had, i noticeed a couple of corals are showing a little bit of white. one is from the coral of the month. it has been doing great, but the white is in the center of the structure.

oh and also a few days before i noticed this, i tryed to run one of the Seios a little different. i noticed some algae growing within a few corals, so i moved the Seio back. the algae is gone from the COTM coral, but its still receeding. i have another coral that got some algae on it, but it hasnt started receeding.

my questions are as follows:

do i try and remove the algae from the coral that has some growing on it? if so how?
i have tried blasting it with a big syringe, but it doesnt seem to be helping.

the one where the recession is in the center, does it have a chance? its allready so small i think breaking it apart would be detrimental. also, the other side is growing like crazy (and very purple).

the final one is receeding at the base. is there something i should do for this one? the top is coloring up nicely....prolly the nicest coral in my tank now. to follow are pics of the last coral in question. the other two are hard to get pics of :rolleyes:

there is one more spot about the same size as this on the other side, but still at the base.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/freekfornature/TBS%20REEF%20II/SPS/2005-5-02033_PB.jpg

here is what the top looks like now
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/freekfornature/TBS%20REEF%20II/SPS/2005-5-02029_PB.jpg

here is a pic of the same coral 10 days earlier
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/freekfornature/TBS%20REEF%20II/SPS/2005-4-16219_PB.jpg

hopefully you guys with SPS experience can help me out here.

TIA

chad508
05/04/2005, 04:10 PM
what i would do is let me put it in my tank and see what happens:lol:

H2OLUVSME
05/04/2005, 04:15 PM
:lol: i knew that was coming at least once....i fugured Dave would come in and say "COTM?"

:lmao:

SptfireXIV
05/04/2005, 04:20 PM
Honestly, it could be because your tank is still pretty new. But, it could also be any number of other things... if you've changed anything recently, more water changes, less water changes, a different salt, a different photperiod, etc. etc.

For what its worth, some of mine have started to recede too, but I think I've been slacking off on water changes :(

Jason

phishguy78
05/04/2005, 05:55 PM
you know landon i have had some that receded also and they have grown back like normal and had some recede and they started to get new growth maybe cause of the move in water movement is why you seein the recesion about the algae i have used toothbrush to remove algae from coral beining carefull around the tissue i would use a soft brissle toothbrush

dvmsn
05/04/2005, 07:03 PM
I think it is inevitable with most wild colonies. I don't think you can do anything but pray it stops. If it continues receeding I would frag it in hopes of stopping it.

phishguy78
05/04/2005, 08:35 PM
hey landon may just be the angle of the photo may be not gettingenough light or maybe not the right color of light or like dave said maybe just inevitable with the wild colonies "stress" have you had a temp change lately

H2OLUVSME
05/05/2005, 07:47 AM
Dave, ill just hope fore the best. ill think twoce about trying to make my tank "better" next time :rolleyes:

Stephen, i did just switch one of the powerheads from the front to the back. i also took the "elbow" off off it (to get more flow). i left the elbow off, but put it back at the angle it was before. my temp has creeped up a bit, but very minutely and its still very stable. i think its a combonation of the extra (and extra volume) water changes and the change of flow. i guess i really never realized how sensative they could be.

tomterreefic
05/05/2005, 10:22 AM
Landon: As everyone else has said, can't say what's causing the recession. But, I've had a few that started receeding too. I made a mix of Kent Coral Excel, Reef Iodine and Seachem Reef Plus. I used a 10mL syringe and mixed the chems 1:1:1. Then I squirted the mix directly over the recession area while the coral was still in place. Nine times out of ten, the recession stopped right there. A couple of the pieces have had some tissue regrowth. Hope this helps man.